Plug on transmission

familiadude, May 30, 1:31am
Does anyone know where the plug is to drain the fluid out of an auto transmission on a 98 mazda capella!I couldnt see one however I do tend to not see obvious things sometimess

carmedic, May 30, 1:37am
No drain plug take the sump off.

familiadude, May 30, 1:51am
thats a stupid design then isnt it!thanks for your help

carmedic, May 30, 1:54am
Think yourself luck you still have a dipstick on the trans, many cars don??

familiadude, May 30, 2:02am
hmm this is true anyone know roughly how much to get a flush and fluid change from a workshop!

pandai, May 30, 2:08am
Flush $250 ballpark, just change fluid, maybe $100

familiadude, May 30, 2:10am
all good thanks

blue35, May 30, 2:43am
When you do get the sump taken off, get a drain plug fitted then, for future oil changes.

familiadude, May 30, 2:56am
smart thinking is it best just to change the fluid!or the fluid and the filter!also whats the pros for getting it flushed aswell!sorry for the stupid questions not too clued up on autos

mugenb20b, May 30, 3:06am
It's best if you get it flushed professionally. But, my wife's Honda for example, doesn't have a filter, so I just do a drain and refill every service. It's half arsed, but frequent, it only takes 2.5 litres each time, and the fluid is always clean.

familiadude, May 30, 3:11am
sorry I mean getting it flushed professionally wouldnt know how to do that myself

skin1235, May 30, 3:36am
just maybe the manufacturers built them to last a lifetime, like ford do, no drain, no dipstick huh, ya figga they may actually know something about their product, and want to keep sticky fingers etc out of it

OP you ask this question why, is the trans playing up, if so no amount of oil changes or filter changes will do diddly squat, it is stuffed, change it out - if there is nothing wrong with the trans and it is a sealed unit why would you go looking for a way to open it and introduce a problem

crzyhrse, May 30, 4:00am
No. What's stupid is just changing the fluid.

mugenb20b, May 30, 4:01am
But it's better than doing nothing.

crzyhrse, May 30, 4:21am
Only just.

flybye_in_a_rx7, May 30, 6:25am
OP why are you changing!

familiadude, May 30, 7:15am
fluid is no longer red its a light brown colour

sr2, May 30, 9:54am
Try telling that to the countless number of courier drivers out there driving Transit vans with gearbox issues.

fordguy17, Apr 21, 5:52pm
They hook up a big pump and pump trans fluid through the box until the fluid runs out clean, then they seal it up. Is a much better way to do it as it gets rid of all the old crap that gets left behind when only a drain/fill is done. However it gets pricey depending on what type of fluid your box uses as they can go through many litres of the stuff! Hence the $250+ price tag.