2004 Holden Astra

Page 1 / 2
dkpop, May 25, 10:45am
Anyone got one or know much about them. Found one here for good price. Cheers.

thejazzpianoma, May 25, 11:39am
Are we talking the new model or the old model 2004 can be either. (Big lights at the front is new model)

Also what price is a good price!

What engine has it got! (some require quite frequent cam belt changes)

They are not worth a lot of money, they are a nice enough car to drive/travel in but are not well built and are known for a number of problems. Remember they are not an Australian car like the Commodore and are a bit of a mixed bag of European influenced but GM U.S design. The older model is basically a European car but it dosn't have the quality build and top notch mechanics of the VW's, BMW's etc its also an old design now having been conceived in the early 90's. The newer model is a U.S GM thing which also isn't renowned for a quality build or design.

My advice is unless its stupidly cheap to go for a proper European car that will actually give you decent build quality and reliability. Don't fool yourself into thinking there is something mainstream or safe about it being a Holden.

smac, May 25, 7:48pm
Gotta disagree with that. Cam servicing isn't good enough at 60k but the build quality is 2nd to none. Built in Germany, like a tank (for a smallish car).

thejazzpianoma, May 25, 10:11pm
Thats a common misconception, the Holden badged Astra's we got here were made in Britain, Belgium and Poland (Depending on year and model) but not Germany as far as I am aware.

Thats the trouble people think they are buying a quality controlled solid German car like a BMW, Audi or VW. The solid bit is right (thanks to generally good body design, and they even do well in crash tests). But the rest can be inconsistent.

Its just due to the "sold out" nature of Modern Day Opel who were merrily badge engineering for several makes and building from scratch and/or assembling stuff all over the world. They were slow to pick up standard European practices like Galvanizing for example and even when they did, some cars were properly Galvanized and great while others still rusted something shocking (although in fairness Astra's usually get away O.K with rust while 90's Vectras could be shocking). Thats just one example, electrics and other bits tend to suffer the inconsistency's in construction as well. Some are great, some are not.

So I stand by what I said, if its really cheap then its worth considering but some are priced at VW money and people pay that thinking they are somehow getting a "Holden" so parts and reliability is going to be magically cheaper/better.

The reality is they are just not up to snuff by comparison to proper German cars that are fully self funded and produce primarily for themselves under strict quality control.

So don't get me wrong, I would have one for the right price if it checked out well. But I wouldn't be paying "Proper car" money for one.

It was not my intention to absolutely rubbish the Astra, like I said initially they drive/ride fine. I just wanted to point out I don't think they are as good as the real German stuff people get them confused with.

thejazzpianoma, May 25, 10:16pm
BTW, in case you point it out. Sure VW for example build cars in other countries too but generally for the local market of that geographic area. (For example a few specific VW's are made in Mexico for primarily the U.S market)

But this is quite different to how Opel operate where for example some Astra's are shipped directly here from Poland.

smac, May 25, 10:44pm
We have a Holden badged, NZ new 2000 Astra, built in Germany.My comments aren't on reputation etc, they're based on having owned and driven the thing every day for 145000k's and 7 years (it's done 175k total). It's solid, rust free, rattle free and reliable. Has had a total of one fault in all that time/distance, and that was due to shoddy work in a service.

phillip.weston, May 25, 10:50pm
Sorry mate but I've worked on too many Opels and I wouldn't regard them as a quality German car. They are like the Mitsubishis of the Japanese car industry. There's a reason why their resale is generally poor. Having said that, they are still miles ahead of the Daewoo junk which replaced them.

vtecintegra, May 25, 10:51pm
Out of interest where would a typical Japanese or NZ market Golf have been built!

phillip.weston, May 25, 11:05pm
Germany. However my MkIII Golf which came from South Africa was assembled in South Africa.

vtecintegra, May 25, 11:16pm
I thought the Mark 4 or 5 switched to Indonesian production - the Australian market ones certainly did

audi_s_ate, May 26, 12:09am
My parents have an 01 (XC) holden badged barina (Opel corsa). Built in Germany. I would rate the build quality as med-high. Mum has probably one of the highest millage ones in the country having owned it from 03 and 75km (ex rental). It is now on 230 and has needed just cambelt! (x3!) and a new master cylinder ($150 ex a Vauxhall UK dealer - Holden wanted $700)
Its a nice enough car to drive - just be wary that holden sourced parts for these euro assembled cars are VERY over the top.
Still on the original battery over 10 years old.

dkpop, May 26, 12:12am
Appreciate your advice and comments. We are in Aus so it is from here but its a 1.8 auto so that is putting me off a little. If manual would be keener. Drives beautifully. AH! Decisions eh! Arent budgets a bitch!

phillip.weston, May 26, 12:53am
in Australia I would say they are a dime a dozen over there and parts are cheap. I say go for it, perhaps a more rewarding drive than a similar era Corolla.

audi_s_ate, May 26, 12:58am
Would agree with that - manual is the way to go with these. Even the 1.8 is reasonably brisk.

thejazzpianoma, May 26, 1:54am
+1 A better proposition as an Australian vehicle, from memory they are priced better over there too.

thejazzpianoma, May 26, 2:00am
Interesting, I didn't think we got any German Astra's of that year I would have expected all 2000 models to have been Belgium assembled. I take my comments back.

It stands to reason why you have had a good run with it too, the German assembled ones would surely have the best quality control etc which is mostly what lets the others down.

Anyone else with a German one!
Also, what exactly does it say on the manufacturer/model plate are you sure it dosn't say something like manufactured in Germany assembled in Belgium!

thejazzpianoma, May 26, 2:09am
I agree with this, the Barina is a good machine and we did get proper German ones.

smac, May 26, 2:47am
I'm curious now too. Any idea where that plate is on one of these!

thejazzpianoma, May 26, 2:54am
Is it not somewhere prominent under in the engine bay! I really can't remember as its been a while since I have looked at one.

Would be great to find out what it says. Holden are pretty random so I am wondering if perhaps we temporarily got some German ones for supply reasons or just what the go is.

321mat, May 26, 3:04am
I agree.Daewoo is the (marginally) better of the Korean rubbish sold here, but REMEMBER:In the 1970's all the cars that came from Japan were known as Jap Junk - because they essentially were.Since then, the Nips have got their act together a bit better and the cars they make are (usually) better than those from across the Tasman.HOWEVER, the Koreans have taken over the "Building of Rubbish Cars" mantle now - ie/ cheap and nasty throw away rubbish, and brands like Hyundai (especially) should be avoided at all costs.

But Astras are mechanically,terribly unreliable.And the moving parts (shocks, bushes, etc) just seem to wear out a lot quicker than those on other brands.
A Corolla (from the same period) is a much better option.

phillip.weston, May 26, 3:10am
In my opinion Hyundai are the best out of Korea, with Kia closely following behind. Daewoo, being part of GM, generally make rubbish vehicles. Hyundai have been working very hard to try get to #1, and their cars from the last 5-10 years have reflected this mission.

I don't believe the Japanese cars were seen as rubbish when they first started coming in during the 1960s and 1970s - can you honestly say a Datsun 120Y or a Toyota Corolla could possibly be more unreliable than the Vauxhall Vivas, Austin Allegros and Morris Marinas we had on the roads at that time! No sir. I think it's because straight off the bat they showed the British how vehicles *should* have been built, and made people realise that fixing your car on the side of the road on a weekly basis was NOT the norm as it previously was.

ringo2, May 26, 3:11am
You are talking crap. Hyundais/Keas are about the best cars coming out of Korea or Japan and their build quality and reliability leave the medium priced european cars for dead.

thejazzpianoma, May 26, 3:18am
I think you may be a little to eager to believe their extensive marketing. While not absolute rubbish Hyundai are not yet on a par with quality European brands for quality and reliability. More importantly they still have quite a way to go in terms of technology, they certainly sound good on T.V. But when you actually look at the gear they are using and what their actual economy/performance is they have a long way to go.

johnf_456, May 26, 3:31am
Yup as they use to say it aint british if it doesnt leak oil.

phillip.weston, May 26, 3:33am
You realise the Hyundai/Kia diesel engines are Italian, right!