Hey Jazz. Heres a well written ad for a punto httpwwwtrademeconztrade me motorscarsfiatauction 378655644htm

stevo2, May 24, 5:58am
Jazz, whats it worth!
Cheers Stevo

matarautrader, May 24, 7:19am
Only 88hp out of a 15881 cc motor! Might need a bit of a tune!

grangies, May 24, 8:00am
""A beautiful example of this Italian modern classic""

LOL.

thejazzpianoma, May 24, 8:12am
Not worth too much more than the what the current bid is. They are a good little car and the 90 series like that one is the high spec model. However the MK1 Punto is not in the same league as the MK2. Pretty much the MK2 is everything the MK1 is not. Its very refined, extremely safe and about as well optioned as you could get in a car that size of that age group.

So with that in mind, you need to make sure you are not paying too close to MK2 money for a MK1.

Now that said a really mint one for under 3K and a tidy example for around 2K is still good buying. You just have to be aware that you are buying a car that is still fairly basic, and while I would still have one over its Japanese competitors of the day (still has advantages like Galvanizing etc) the likes of the little Nissans etc do give it a pretty good run for its money.

The Mk2 of course is another story and is leagues ahead of the pack especially if buying a CVT vs an Auto.

EDIT:
If anyone is looking at one, remember the 1.6 is just the basic single cam. Its a good reliable motor but in reality dosn't quite catch the 1.2 Twin cam (used in the MK2) for performance.

This is what I mean when I say the 1.2 Punto goes like a 1.6 or 1.8. The 1.6 Punto holds its own well against a 1.6 Corolla or the same vintage but a 1.2 Twin cam Punto will have an edge on them both.

antwerp87, May 24, 8:14am
Jazz! If only it was a Honda Jazz V-tec lol

thejazzpianoma, May 24, 8:21am
Errr no if only it was a MK2 Punto!
The MK2is a better car than the Honda Jazz, none of the CVT issues the Jazz and despite the 1.2 litre engine is generally as quick or quicker depending on exactly which model you compare it to. Its also more advanced and usually better equipped.

Don't get me wrong I am a Honda fan and a manual Jazz is pretty good but for what you pay for one in NZ it just dosn't compete. For the same money in Manual. well then in fairness its a pretty close race.

grangies, May 24, 8:23am
Agree.

An old Punto like that is very basic. But that is a good thing as far as cheap little cars go.

Basic body, skinned with galvanised sheet metal, and a basic interior and basic engine.

Will out last most other cars in the same price range from the time it was new, through to its scrap metal death.

drog, May 24, 8:33pm
Question for Jazz - What year did the Mk2 Punto appear!

thejazzpianoma, Mar 31, 7:07am
Technically 1999 but I have only ever seen them from 2000 onwards in NZ and that includes Jap imports. Have seen a few 1999 MK1's around so don't be fooled.

Ideally you want to buy 2001 or newer as there were a couple of recall/issues in 2000 but they are rarely a problem so don't get too uptight about it. If you see a nice 2000 model I can always tell you what to check if you were concerned.

Just remember that if you are buying a CVT one if it does not have a service history showing transmission services every 40K then avoid it unless its got say 60K or less on the clock (and then obviously service it yourself immediately)