Electric scooters for adults - Good idea?

playfair, May 24, 2:35am
I was thinking of buying an electric scooter for travelling to work (3.4km) each way to save money on petrol.plus I don't really want to walk for 1hour plus & the bus is unreliable.

I'm meaning the electric scooters such as http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/razor-kickscooters_2123_6608675, not petrol scooters

Please let me know what brands to avoid or which is the best brand. Any experiences will also be helpful. Thanks!

msigg, May 24, 4:15am
No, no good, your better with a push bike. As with any battery operated item, the battery will be the bestthe first few times you use it , then the charges will continue to fall and be useless.

waipawa, May 24, 4:25am
I looked into these a little while ago. No reputable well-known company anywhere in the world seems to make them - only unknown Chinese brands.
They used to be sold at a motorcycle dealership here, but when I went in to ask about them the manager said he had stopped selling them as they were giving too much trouble - warranty repairs. So I gathered they were best steered clear of.

mk3zephyr, May 24, 7:55am
Just get a mobility scooter That way you can be like most old folks and drive them on the road, park them in carparks, drive straight onto the road off the footpath etc without a care in the world

topper, May 24, 11:44pm
For what it is worth, we have had a "Quicksilver" brand scooter for some yearsI assumed that it was somthing to do with mercury outboard motors.
Its ticket price was about $1800. It is still going fine and all of the kids have had a pretty solid go at it. Lead paste batteries are still original and easity available.
Not flash on hills but an excellent means of travelling on the flat. Used mine to get from the free car parking to work (15 minutes walk, 5 minutes scooter).
Not a penis extension, but beats jogging when you are running late.

Cheers!

Neil

pollymay, Mar 30, 11:15pm
Quicksilver make great ones, topper beat me to it. They are not cheap though.

Got hassled once by a cop saying I had to register it, get a motorbike license blah blah when I was 16, what an absolute tosser