Nissan Pathfinder 2008

bjmh, May 24, 2:14am
I have one here that supposedly the injectors have crapped out,Nissan are saying its from dirty fuel,lack offuel filter changes.has anyone else had this problem.

helsbels2, May 24, 6:03am
yes all late model comon rail systems require fuel filters every 10 k and just a small amount of water will kill the high presure pump and injectors

mugenb20b, May 24, 7:14am
Had it with late model Toyota Hilux. But it was the pump that packed up. Big $$$.

for_an_angel, May 24, 7:24am
Wow are Nissans fuel filter changes at 10000km intervals ! Toyota commercial common rail fuel filter changes are suggested at 30000kms unless fueling from farm tanks or the likes of.

But yea dirty fuel is a major hassle for the high pressure small tolerance common rail diesel system, Don't get too tucked up tho with the price of parts Diesel Services Wellington keep a rebuilt high pressure pump and injectors in stock, exchange, and half the cost of a new genuine part

mugenb20b, May 24, 7:31am
I forgot to add that late model Toyota common rail diesel engines wear prematurely due to failing injector seals. That allows carbon and excessive blow by gases to get in the crankcase and carbon blocks up oil squirters at the bottom of each cylinder. Toyota now say that you should remove injectors and replace seals every 45k, but they are keeping this very quiet. Each injector costs $600 if they need replacing.

for_an_angel, May 24, 7:39am
Ah ah not true. the first service schedule released with the 2005 D4D Hilux had the tappet clearance inspection at 45k and if doing the clearance by the book you would have to remove the injectors. When the injectors are desterbed you need to fit new seats and orings.so if the service schedule had been followed from day 1 then there would be no issue.

mugenb20b, May 24, 7:49am
Really! I didn't actually know that. I'm going to pass this information on to my employer and the customer. Thanks. I thought it was a bit odd for Toyota D4D to fail at 178 000km.

for_an_angel, May 24, 7:59am
Servicing by the book is harder for non dealer service agents now that Toyota don't have the service schedule in the cars maintenance folder like they used to pre 2004. So it's an easy thing to miss being no other model before hand needed the tappets checked but they all had the inspection interval in their schedules

mugenb20b, May 24, 8:02am
Apologies to OP for going off topic, but I had a look at those tappets (buckets), and they have no shims. Do you have to change the whole bucket to adjust the valve clearance!

for_an_angel, May 24, 8:12am
Yea I have never had to adjust the clearance yet on them but if you do it is a solid bucket so you need to measure the one you have and the clearance you have then order the required replacement bucket. I can help out with the chart for working out the new size required if you ever need it.

mugenb20b, Mar 30, 5:01pm
Thanks for that. A lot of farmers in our area have these Hiluxes, but only one so far decided to expire. We are just trying to inform all the owners that they need to keep an eye on them.