Subaru legacy timing

minimad78, May 24, 9:27pm
Hey there. My legacy had a dead distributor. I just replaced it and now it doesnt want to time up. i've tried all the different distributor positions. The best i've got it to do is turn once, and kick back. All the leads are on the right spark plugs, etc. so we can rule that one out. Any help out there!

ginga4lyfe, May 24, 9:31pm
set at top dead center and see were the rotor points! it can kick back if the dizzy is out 180 degrees

minimad78, May 24, 9:37pm
Sweet as. How do I tell if its at top dead center! these boxer engines confuse me.

ginga4lyfe, May 24, 9:44pm
welll. hmm i havnt worked on them myself, but i would find out which is the no 1 piston, then find out when its on its compression stroke(top of compression stroke ), then just look at the pully on the front of the engine to see when it is supposedly at the tdc,may be hard to find out when its on compression stroke on some engines if they are inthe car, but since you say that it has a dizzy i woud imagine that you are working on a ea82 or similar engine, which makes getting to the spark plugs and poking a screw driver in the bore to find tdc alot easyer if the rotor isnt pointing to no 1 plug lead once the engine is at tdc then remove and re install to as close as you can get it, which is annoying if the teeth are on an angle

minimad78, May 24, 9:53pm
Sweet thanks man. I'll give that a go this arvo and see how that turns out. fingers crossed i can get it started. its been off the road a month now and im sick of walking everywhere haha

ginga4lyfe, May 24, 9:55pm
haha, i know what thats like with my triumph being unpredictable, im almost ready to drop this for a subaru legacy

minimad78, Mar 30, 8:54am
Subarus are unreliable. I've spent more than its worth fixing it haha. They're pretty quick though (when they arent blowing turbos or clutchs)