Nissan El grand year 2000 to 2005

rorsy, May 23, 12:14am
Looking to buy a van as they lookn great.I would prefer diesel.
Can any onethat owns one tell me what they are like.
Are the petrol ones good on fuel!
Cheers rorsy

vtecintegra, May 23, 12:25am
Pretty sure the diesels stopped about 2002 when the shape changed - the engines were simply too dirty to sell in Japan by that stage.

The petrol isn't going to be good on fuel, nothing that size and weight will be but the 3.5 is a great engine

thejazzpianoma, May 23, 3:26am
Absolutely atrocious on fuel, even the smaller engine one is a shocker. If you wouldn't run a V8 for the kind of running you do then don't buy an el grand.

If you want a big luxurious people mover thats good on gas you would be better to be patient and snavel up a Renault Espace when one comes up. The diesels are great on fuel and push along O.K as well, the 2.0 Petrol is also not too bad considering the size of the vehicle.Even better get a Multipla, but if an elgrand appeals on looks the Multipla probably won't.

vtecintegra, May 23, 3:31am
As always its a matter of opinion.

The Espace even the Grand Espace is a much smaller vehicle and to get comparable performance out of it you have to option it with the same Nissan V6 as comes in the Elgrand (the petrol four Espace is ludicrously slow, although the better diesels are okay)

thejazzpianoma, May 23, 6:22am
What you talking bout Willis!!
The 2.0 Turbo Petrol one (which is the one we tend to see a lot of in NZ) does 0-100 in under 10 seconds for a manual one and just over 10 seconds for the Auto.
In large people mover terms thats really good, it will leave a new 2.4 Previa behind and absolutely smoke a 2.5 litre Elgrande which which takes 14.6 seconds to get to 100km/h.
So to say one is slow is laughable. Also, a Grande Espace will generally have more than enough space for most people.

On another subject. The economy ratings on the Elgrand are a bit of a trap. Many of the "star" type ratings just consider the average rating. The problem with that is that the Elgrand is particually terrible on the urban cycle. which being a people mover is usually where it will do most of its travelling.

Of course if you really wanted loads of power for passing and were only using it on the open road then in that circumstance the Elgrand may be worth considering. Its still not what I would call economical but at least in those circumstances its not eye wateringly thirsty.

craig04, May 23, 6:41pm
If genital warts appeal on looks, the Multipla still wouldn't.

vtecintegra, May 24, 12:52am
I'll just point out there is exactly one 2.5 Elgrand listed and yes that model is to be avoided.Co incidentally there is only one Espace full stop although it is a turbo and does look to be a relatively good deal.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 28, 4:52pm
Agreed, possibly a little haggle room going on previous sales but given they have a monopoly on these quite sought after machines right now I am not sure what luck you would have.

The only thing with the Espace is you need to maintain it properly. It is quite easy to kill a Turbo on one if you choose to neglect oil changes etc.

However, maintain the car as the manufacturer intended and chances are you will get a really good run out of it and enjoy coming pretty close to having your cake and eating it too with regard to power/economy and comfort.