Advice needed on new tyres?

Page 1 / 2
ruiha, May 18, 10:03pm
I failed my WOF on my 2 front tyres, they are 195/60R15
I have been quoted 2 prices from Sth Akd dealers:

$150 each for TZ100tyre
$138 each for Goodyear entry level tyre

both are new and include gst, fitting and balancing.
I dont know anything about tyres so what should I go for!

vtecintegra, May 18, 10:21pm
I had Firestone TZ100s on a car and thought they were pretty rubbish.

Be careful the second lot is actually Goodyear not a knockoff Good<something else>

guider1, May 18, 10:26pm
Oh ruiha. you have opened a can of worms with this thread. There will be bickering & arguments for days now. lol.

*sits back with a HUGE bag of popcorn.

mrfxit, May 18, 10:31pm
LMFAO ,. Hands around cold RTD's to match the popcorn . ;-)

ruiha, May 18, 10:36pm
Oh really! oops i didnt know tyres were such a touchy subject! Its the first time i've been in this forum.so should I delete the thread or should I stay and share your popcorn with you!

ruiha, May 18, 10:38pm
Rtd's ! I drunk those a few years back.very sweet taste and easy to drink!

cp2011, May 18, 10:54pm
Depends what quality tyres you are wanting.and what your driving style is.either of those tyres are fine for everyday driving.there are cheaper chinese tyres like Goodride and Triangle etcwhich seem ok in the drybut not so good in the wetbasicly you get what you pay for.the tz100s are pretty good from my experiance

johnf_456, May 18, 10:57pm
Stay away from chinese tyres and triangle, search others threads here.

vtecintegra, May 18, 11:01pm
I guess it depends on what level of performance you're expecting.My main problem with them is they wore on the shoulders faster than anything else I had on the same car.

ruiha, May 18, 11:03pm
yeah i'm going to stay away from those triangle tyres etc.

bjmh, May 18, 11:10pm
you need some that are black and round

moosie_21, May 18, 11:10pm
Year/Make/Model of car please

johnf_456, May 18, 11:37pm
you know why. Your just stirring, search the threads to your left

ruiha, May 18, 11:41pm
I bet you say that to all the guys! lol

attitudedesignz, May 18, 11:51pm
No John, you need to back up your statement.

I have 235-40-18 Triangle tyres on my Holden VR ute, they have been on it for 18 months and i've had NO problems at all. Apart from a little more road noise than other tyres they work VERY well for what i needed at the time.

So i'm speaking from experience of OWNING and USING Triangle tyres, are YOU.

John you wonder why people say the things to you that they do. I asked a simple question and you automaticly go on the defensive.

nufix72, May 19, 1:15am
Every tz 100 i have seen has shoulder wear, good tread in middle, and the set
I had were kept inflated avoid at all costs

johnf_456, May 19, 1:18am
I have noticed that also

big.b-lil.c, May 19, 2:03am
i got 195 65 15 goodyear assurance tires (they are a quality commuter tire) from autotreads in east tamaki for my daughters car, (they specialize in truck and trailer alignments so the staff know there stuff) the tires cost $150 each but as i bought four i got a free wheel alignment.

ct9a, May 19, 3:25am
dont forget a decent wheel alignment

vr4_legnum, May 19, 5:48am
Go with the Goodyear Assurance. They are pretty good tyre and better then any firestone tyre. Or try the Falken ZE912.

Shouldnt pay anymore around $150-$160 per tyre fitted, balance with GST

tuttyclan, May 19, 5:51am
You could pick up a new Super Cat tyre for around $115-120 mark.I paid $110 each for mine for my 1997 Honda Accord ( 195-60-15 ) about 3 years ago.Have done 20,000 so far and they are only partly worn.Have no problems with wet weather driving or road noise.

vr4_legnum, May 19, 6:04am
Dont buy the Supercat, They now make in Chnia and they are 100% crap now.

stevo2, May 19, 6:48am
How about letting us know what sort of car and mileage you do along with the type of running, ie shopping basket or regular high speed touring.
Cheers Stevo

budgel, May 19, 9:16am
VR4 _legnum, I have Supercats on my ute, made in Australia. I put a second set on my old 1990 car and this time they are made in Indonesia. I havent noticed any difference between each type and they look exactly the same and feel the same. Good run of the mill non performance tyres.

johnf_456, May 19, 9:17am
Supercats are a fine tyre for the price you pay, especially if you just want a cheap tyre for a work hack, they go well for the money.