Tyres any advice please.

bluecambridge, May 19, 12:24am
Hi I've never bought new tyres before, always been S/H, but now want something decent for my '96 Camry wagon, 205x65Rx15. I live rural and commute, so do around 300kms per week, need something that will handle good in the wet, reasonably long life. Been searching through old tyre treads on this MB, too much to read it all but someone swore by Adenstyreshop.co.nz, they've got Hankook Optimo K415's @ $115 ea and Kumho K517's @ $125 ea, free freight. Anyone with experience with these tyres, know which would be best, or can recommend something better at similar price! many thanks

mugenb20b, May 19, 12:28am
I would just go to any tyre shop, tell them what your requirements are and go from there. Otherwise, you'll spend hours phoning/driving around wasting time.

tuttyclan, May 19, 1:05am
I have Supercats on my 1997 Honda Accord.They fine and never given me any trouble and cost me about $115 each about 3 years ago.195-60-15.Done about 20,000 km so far and only partly worn.Something like a Firestone Firehawk or Goodyear Eagle would probably cost at least around $150-160 each

foxdonut, May 19, 1:20am
The golden rule for tires: Spend as much as you can afford.

Good tread provides better fuel economy, better handling and greatly improves the safety of the car on the road for you and others.

Kuhmo are a bit hit and miss in my experience. The economy tread seems to last forever, but the semi-performance rubber was pretty hopeless.

big.b-lil.c, May 19, 1:50am
phone maybe two local tire shops for advice and price. its unlikely a experienced tire man (person!) wont sell you a tire that doesn't suit your use if they understand what you want. i got 195 65 15 Goodyear assurance tires (i asked for a quality commuter type tire) for my daughters car, cost around $150 each (her life however is priceless) but got free wheel alignment with four, along with balancing and fitting.
the thing with online buying is don't forget to factor in fitting and balancing. tire shops wont do you any favors when you buy slightly cheaper elsewhere.

vr4_legnum, Mar 9, 2:56pm
Go for the Goodyear Assurance tyres. Would be looking arond $160 each with fitting balance with GST.

Wouldnt go near the hankook or kumho tyre, they wont be half as good as the goodyear. Remember with buying off trademe, you dont get the tyre manufacture warranty as you do buying from a tyre shop and going to look at other $20 plus each tyre to be fitted and balance so you not really saving any money