94 Ford Probe GT Manual

crikey5, May 16, 6:48am
Looking at buying one. Does anyone have anything to say on this vehicle!

mugenb20b, May 16, 6:49am
It's a reskinned Mazda MX6.

crikey5, May 16, 6:50am
Yes, thanks

franc123, May 16, 6:52am
They're a pretty obscure basic spec version of the Mazda MX6 with a Ford USA styled body.Running gear is similar to that used in other Ford/Mazda product of the era like the Telstar and Cronos/626 and as such is pretty reliable.The main concern I'd have is where you would get spares from should you need them, much of the non mechanical stuff would have to come from the states I'd have thought.

crikey5, May 16, 7:08am
I hope they dont have to come from the states.Surely there would be some after market parts available! Thanks for the info.

doriandarby, May 16, 7:11am
Try ebay for any parts - might be some on there.Worst thing about this car IMO is the name.

doriandarby, May 16, 7:13am

crikey5, May 16, 7:22am
Thanks doriandarby

un_known, May 16, 7:26am
ok the only parts you would need to get from the states would be aftermarket performance parts. everything else is basically the same as all the other GE platform cars so mx6 626 telstar cronos clef. the list goes on.

however i dont believe they are all that reliable and the kl engine while it produces a nice broad torque curve can be rather thirsty.

personally if u really want one get a jspec mx6 instead.better engine, 4ws better options.

peacebird15, May 16, 8:47am
From memory they were close to 60k new in NZ in 94

crikey5, May 16, 9:03am
Thanks everyone, subject to a car inspection report tomorrow I might just buy it.
ThenI have to get it back to dunedin.

fordguy17, May 16, 10:49am
They are good cars. I found one for my partner last year and she bought it just a few hours after it was listed here on Trademe. Only down side is it's an auto. IMO, if they were RWD with a manual, it would be a beast of a car. Only problem I've found on hers is the window seals need a bit of TLC, being pillar less doors the windows need a tight seal otherwise moisture gets in and fogs up your windows like nothing you have ever seen!. Also there is no space for passengers! The back seats may as well be painted on as unless you plan on taking amputees as passengers. Again, make sure it's the KLZE donk and check when the last cam belt/water pump change was. These engines (in fact most FWD engines) are a nightmare to do cam belts/water pumps on, especially as the 2.5L takes up the entire engine bay.

vjregal770, May 16, 11:51am
What's the difference between the KLZE and the KLDE!

shuddupowh, May 16, 9:41pm
I have one which I have done a manual conversion to. You dont have to buy from US. Search trader on here LWWLWW he wrecks heaps of them and has everything you'll need. I got my conversion off him. But about the car, they are pretty mean and quick for what they are. Drop the clutch and it will spin up.

shuddupowh, May 16, 9:42pm
Also checkout probetalk.com heaps of info there.

shuddupowh, May 16, 9:45pm
I second that. No idea wtf they were thinking when they named it. Ford GT or Ford GT Coupe sounds much better.

un_known, May 16, 10:44pm
simply 200hp vs 165. otherwise higher compression, larger rectangular ports, higher flow intake manifold, more aggresive cam profile and ecu tune.

for a 2.5l v6 they are a very flexible engine.not a high rev screamer but has a wide torque curve thanks to the vris system.i constantly compare it to my rb25 skyline.both 2.5l sixes but their characteristics couldnt be further apart. the RB loves to rev its like its pinned to the redline has nothing under 4000rpm tho and its only at about 5000rpm that it really starts to move. Whereas the KL has usable power right from 2000rpm and it increases steadily up to about 6500rpm and starts to drop off after that.For street use i far prefer the KL, i guess they may have improved the rb torque spread in the later versions.

xs1100, May 16, 11:14pm
are you looking at the kevway cars one in point chev thats a nice looking car

vjregal770, May 17, 10:51am
Ah, OK. I asked Mr. Google and he reckons the Japs got the 200hp motor because they didn't require the emissions gear that Eurpoe and the US do. That and a more aggressive cam etc.

According to what I've read, the 2.5 gets around 21-24MPG. My old 5.0 SS Commy got 20-22! That's surprising.

But they're a sexy lookin' thing IMO.

Personally I'd still go for a NZ new. My only reservation really would be parts availability (panels, lights, glass) if the worst should happen.

shuddupowh, Mar 3, 7:19am
#20. As I Have posted above, there is a trader on here that has hundreds of parts in stock for the Probe. You name it hes got it (just not a/m). If you want A/M you have to look overseas or get custom made.