Hiace van head gasket?

dasfi, May 16, 12:03am
How much approx would it cost! i can get a 99 van real cheap with blown gasket

mugenb20b, May 16, 12:08am
Petrol, diesel!

franc123, May 16, 12:10am
Diesel!I'll guarantee the problems are a lot more deep seated than that, budget a couple or three grand if it needs a new head and you're paying someone to do it.

dasfi, May 16, 12:17am
bugger, yep its a diesel

franc123, May 16, 12:20am
thats why its cheap :)But depending on what that model/year/kms normally sells for it may still be a good buy if the price is right, there is always a good market for them.Most of these head problems are caused by Toyota Slob Syndrome, specifically the owners nelecting to get radiators removed and cleaned properly every few years.

mugenb20b, May 16, 12:20am
What 'franc123' said, and I would strongly recommend replacing big end bearings at the same time.

dasfi, May 16, 12:21am
hmm, myt turn it down then, was just a thought

mugenb20b, May 16, 12:22am
If it's "really cheap" and body is tidy, go for it.

74nova, May 16, 1:43am
I got one a few years ago with the same problem. cost about $500 all up, new head gasket, head plained and new head bolts. It was easy.

thejazzpianoma, May 16, 2:54am
Those Toyota Diesel heads have a design fault. While keeping your cooling system in good nick will definitely help you can still easly crack one even if you do everything right.
If you plan on keeping it and the head is suspect I wouldn't even bother if you could get it for $500 (at least not to keep) they are not a plesant, economical or safe vehicle.
For the price of the head and the effort, you could get yourself a cheap VW Sharan with the mighty VR6 engine which is comfortable, safe and has plenty of go.

mugenb20b, May 16, 3:35am
.and $hit transmissions.

mugenb20b, May 16, 3:39am
x1
It's a van, a mobile tool box, what do you expect!

franc123, May 16, 4:13am
Read the post properly, you don't get brand new heads fitted for $500, I'm not talking about simply gasket replacement.You would be a fool to refit one without crack or pressure testing it first.If its stuffed you need a new one or a good second hand one, plus as mel2k says radiator cleaning and associated works.

74nova, May 16, 7:09pm
Ummm.you read the post properly. I'm talking about what I came across with the one I bought. You go on about its totally buggered and you know nothing but the history of the van. He could probably buy the van and sell the engine like it is for more than what he pays for the whole van.

scoobeey, May 16, 9:24pm
Well my Hiace and MANY more have done neally a million kms WITHOUT any major probs .Fifteen years in fact.So stop talkin shite .

scoobeey, May 16, 11:31pm
375464193 is the option i would take :)

incar., May 17, 6:27am
'''While keeping your cooling system in good nick will definitely help you can still easly crack one even if you do everything right'''
please explain!.

for_an_angel, May 17, 6:33am
He wont be able to explain as the 2L/3L head didn't have a design fault. The rep from cracking heads comes from the turboed 2L-T which has a exhaust design fault. not big enough and lack of cooling system maintainence. The 1KZ head did how ever have a design flaw just under the pre-combustion chamber.

franc123, May 17, 6:36am
Well you were very lucky then weren't you.In most cases they do crack beyond repair and any prospective buyer should budget for a head replacement when buying. Getting away with just a gasket replacement is a best case scenario.

for_an_angel, Mar 1, 5:01pm
With the 2L/3L the heads crack between the valves and alot of the heads thrown away can be repaired. Have done a few job were we have had the head welded and machined with good results.