VW Golf.

Page 2 / 2
rolznsp, May 16, 6:42am
This might be a realllll dopey question but where is the head gasket located!

ralphdog1, May 16, 6:42am
But I bet your BF charges less than the dealer will

rolznsp, May 16, 6:42am
LOL umm i like the look of the Blondie on the old John Deer add so we will go with John Deer ;)

rolznsp, May 16, 6:43am
LMAO! yes and in that case.he can cover the bill.

thejazzpianoma, May 16, 6:43am
It won't necessarily be using much water if the gasket breach is small like I suspect.
Oh. and best of luck with the dealer then. not sure your BF will be so pleased though!

mugenb20b, May 16, 6:44am
It's sandwiched between the cylinder head and engine block.

thejazzpianoma, May 16, 6:45am
The head gasket goes between the top of the engine (called the head) and the main casting (called the block) there isn't really anything to see until the head is removed.

thejazzpianoma, May 16, 6:45am
snap!

thejazzpianoma, May 16, 6:47am
The pistons in the engine work much like a syringe as they go up and down. When the gasket fails the suction that happens when the piston goes down sucks water in through the breach. When it goes back up it pushes it out the exhaust.
The reason it runs on 3 cylenders is that the water stops the fuel igniting. The reason you don't want to drive it is if the breach gets worse and more water gets sucked in it can destroy the engine as the piston comes up because water does not compress.

mugenb20b, May 16, 6:48am
.must.type.faster.-
.right Jazz!

rolznsp, May 16, 6:48am
oh ok so its under that big flash looking engine thing under the hood! Its all covered . what is under the car! One of the guys was putting his hand under there when it was roaring like a tractor and pulled out wet fingers - which apparently was just water - he said it could have a leak in the exhaust but it was under the car by drivers door in centre. (hope that makes sence)

thejazzpianoma, May 16, 6:56am
LOL, its hard when you just have so much to say!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 25, 9:48am
The Gnome that turns the handle to make the car go probably spat in his hand.
That or it may have been water in the exhaust leaking out the join by the catalytic converter or something to that effect.