Oil feedline and return on the AU Falcon

jason18, May 11, 3:11am
Hey Guys, Bought the trans cooler just wondering is the oil feed line at the top of the radiator and the return will be at the bottom!

luke041, May 11, 3:12am
rear pipe on trans is return just follow it back

skyline_guy_r34, May 11, 3:36am
behind the radiator theres 2 oil lines. One comes from the top of the radiator tank, and one from the bottom somewhere. They both go towards the trans from what I saw. Carmedic plumbed my trans cooler using the oil line that WAS NOT from the top of the radiator.

Hope this helps

jason18, May 11, 3:52am
Hey Guys, Talked to ford and they said bypass the radiator completely. Would i have to top up trans fluid once external coolers on!

crzyhrse, May 11, 4:34am
Not usually. It'd have to be a pretty big cooler to contain enough volume to make a noticeable difference.

jason18, May 11, 4:42am
Oh true ok then sweet as Its the one in other thread 8 cylinder one. Got it at super cheap for 153.00 What is the brand of trans oil i get for this falcon! I might just fill the cooler up and that should be enough i would think

jason18, May 11, 4:43am
yeah that first one I got. Davies craig

jason18, May 11, 4:56am
Cool rang transmax and they said they wouldnt worry to much about fluid. But I will fill trans cooler up before i install and that should cover the extra

skyline_guy_r34, May 11, 5:47am
They use TQ-95 trans oil. Dont put in anything else as the trans goes mental

skyline_guy_r34, May 11, 5:49am
I was lucky enough that when i went into supercheap to look at trans coolers they had that same cooler on special for $122. And to think that BNT wanted a tad over $200 for the same product

jason18, May 11, 5:56am
yeah cheers mate, They had no specials on bugger it. I rang a trans guy and he said the same TQ 95

jason18, May 11, 6:55pm
oh true most trans shops said to bypass it just incase.

skyline_guy_r34, May 12, 12:26am
I did some reading up when i was going to install mine and I was going to insist on running it inline with the radiator one (after the radiator). If you notice the kit you bought says something like gives an extra 33% of life to trans when plumbed inline with factory cooler.

Why buy big cooler and bypass that factory cooler! Might as well buy a smaller cooler, save money and run inline with factory cooler for same results. You want to keep cool your oil as much as possible so run inline.

Carmedic charged me $340 gst inclusive to install the cooler i bought, flush the trans (15 or 16L from memory) and supply and fit a trans filter kit. Fairly sure he undercharged me though as I use him for all my work. So as above expect 2-300 for a flush, as flushing with TQ-95 is quite costly (my receipt had $140ish just for the oil for flushing and filling)

johnf_456, May 12, 12:59am
Personally use the radiator one to.

jason18, May 12, 10:13am
Oh true ok then. Even ford recommended running it without the factory cooler as they said it would guarentee no leak. Got a trans guy doing a service tomorrow.

jason18, May 12, 10:14am
We will see how we get on. Cheers guys.

chris_051, May 12, 10:36am
Avoid this especially on a 10 year old car, if extra cooling so so important get a bigger external trans cooler or run two smaller ones etc. Seen many BTR 4spd in the coons die early because of the flawed radiator/g.box cooler, my first AU was still going strong on the original box at 470k when I sold it, first owner was a cabbie who got an external one fitted and plugged up the factory cooler, best thing he could have done. You don't see too many autos around with that many kays on em.

jason18, May 12, 6:34pm
Cheers for the advice chris, fish and the other guys. Might get the trans guys to check flaring on my pipes just in case lol

johnf_456, May 12, 8:52pm
Every car is different, some ex ford owners tell me the opposite and some forums I am currently looking at. One neighbor over the pack used to have a falcon that had done 600k with no extra cooler at the placeI use to live at. But each to their own, but nothing wrong with a big aftermarket one if its bigger than factory.

chris_051, May 13, 6:45am
And how many gearboxes did that car on 600k go thru! It might drive alright running the factory cooler, but tomorrow it could leak internally, the transmission wouldn't last 10 minutes. Unless the radiator is new, I'd avoid it, there is a reason why the new ones come out with external coolers and not integrated radiator ones.

jason18, May 13, 6:51am
Most forums i have looked at said they all bypassed radiator one. Those were the ford forums over aussie. Ford technician said to bypass and so did 3 trans places as a safety so it wont leak. I ended up bypassing radiator and she running nicely with gearbox service too.

johnf_456, Feb 13, 3:40pm
Factory box, but like I said every car is different. Has for leaking with age and high km's most cars need a radiator replacement at some point So replace it.