'96 Celica Manual - Pros/cons?

debulebule, May 10, 8:40am
Seriously considering getting a 96 Celica Manual. Anything i need to look for when viewing it! Seems pretty tidy. Low kms. Nana spec. But thought i'd ask! Cheers, debule!

jasongroves, May 10, 8:48am
Generally pretty damn reliable.
Maintenance history is important of course:)
Things that tend to get neglected in a lot of cases are gear box oil changes, suspension (especially bushes), cambelt (many are of the opinion that it needs to be changed every 100,000Km, without taking into consideration how long the belt has been on for.they do have a shelf life;).
Always check for signs of previous repairs and rust around windows, inside boot by the hinges and around bottom of doors.
A good inspection by Toyota or Car Inspection Services or a trusted mechanic is always a good idea.
Whcih engine does it have!

debulebule, May 10, 8:53am
I believe it has the 3SGE 2.0L in it. So far i've been told to make sure i keep the oil topped up at all times. And then it'll be pretty reliable apparantly!

jasongroves, May 10, 8:58am
3SGE isn't the nana spec;)
They actually go very well.
Keep it well serviced and they are very reliable.
They do require a semi-synthetic oil (15w-40 will do) with an API rating of SJ or better. Holds about 4.5L.
Gearbox uses 75w-90 and holds between 2.6 and 3.5L depending on model:)

jasongroves, May 10, 8:59am
Oh, and minimum fuel requirement is 95;)

_peas, May 10, 9:04am
I'm not 100% on this but don't some Celicas of this era have Toyota's legendary Super Strut!If so this can be a small fortune to fix.Not saying yours would be but best to check.

debulebule, May 10, 9:13am
This one fortunately doesn't have the super strut :) Anything worth doing to make them run a little better also!

jasongroves, May 10, 9:15am
Power wise! Or maintenance!

jasongroves, May 10, 9:16am
If you want more performance.easier to buy a GT-4 Celica;)

debulebule, May 11, 10:54am
BUMPPPPPP

moosie_21, Feb 7, 9:43pm
Yup, no superstrut, those were only the SS3's with the BEAMS engine.

Keep the factory cold air box and buy a K&N air filter (don't put a POD filter in, will only suck in warm air from engine bay). Use good oil and put a quality oil flter on it (I use TRD filters on mine, but quite expensive.). Get a good set of spark plugs and leads. Those are the cheap options.

Beyond that start looking at headers and full-through exhausts, clutch plates, flywheels, etc. which can start to get expensive!