My Ute has started smelling of Sulpher

spudster, May 9, 5:00am
I have a 99 ford courier and it has started to give off a sulphur smell. Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this! You can smell it coming through the A/C. Thanks

attitudedesignz, May 9, 5:06am
Cat' converter shitting itself.

spudster, May 9, 5:09am
Can you punch the centre out!

intrade, May 9, 5:12am
check your oxigen sensor is not faulty . as first action.
cat converter stinking means its working fine. you have the above problem or you simply drive like a nana and the cat cant get hot enough to clear it self good.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_you_tell_a_catalytic_converter_is_bad

40wav, May 9, 5:13am
This could also be your battery over charging. Had that happen in a loader and it smelt like sulphur.

franc123, May 9, 5:14am
how about we establish first if its petrol or diesel!

barrie2, May 9, 5:15am
So does mine - but I live in Rotorua.!

spudster, May 9, 5:15am
Petrol

intrade, May 9, 5:17am
yea well if its stinks out the exhaust then I be going for a warmup and a good thrashing at 5 high rpm to get the cat redhot glowing. then see if problem is gone if not next step oxygen lambda sensore on petrol engine is to be inspected and tested.

40wav, May 9, 5:24am
Fair comment, but if it stinks at the battery its probably the battery.

intrade, May 9, 5:26am
yup then you be getting the multimeter out and mesure what it charges at probably 18 volts to boil the battery instead of 13.8 to 14.5 volt

spudster, May 9, 5:27am
It does seem to be smelling in the engine bay.

spudster, May 9, 5:28am
I will grab a multi meter from work tomorrow. Cheers

bigfatmat1, May 9, 6:38am
stuffed battery, or overcharging, are possible causes

likit, May 9, 8:15am
Had the same problem,check your battery.

johnf_456, May 9, 8:18am
Any sign of battery acid everywhere!

spudster, May 9, 8:58am
A little bit of liquid on one of the caps. I have talked to a auto electrician and he said it could be the regulator in the alternator or the battery. Thanks

supernova2, May 10, 8:01am
Nah you are all wrong, you've got a chick nesting and it's eggs are rotten

jrlaw, May 10, 8:23am
Is it just me but when it is raining my cars cat smells a bit of sulphur, seems to be better after a long hot run as well.

richms, May 10, 11:47am
Yup, as the battery boils, more and more comes out, it will cool down when you stop. Usually shagged when you can smell it but a topup of DI water will see them last longer than just ignoring it and not doing that. Get the charge circuitry sorted too or it will just keep happening.

budgel, May 11, 12:32am
I reckon it is the farts you got from the egg sandwiches you had for lunch.

richardmayes, Feb 5, 4:54pm
Fibre man. Eat more fibre.