Are all Toyota Caldinas four wheel drive?

Page 1 / 2
ambo11, May 9, 5:04am
Been told these Caldinas from 1994ish onwards are all four wheel drive, is this true!

murdoko, May 9, 5:05am
no. most are fwd

murdoko, May 9, 5:10am
unless stated or badged as 4wd ;)

ralphdog1, May 9, 5:12am

franc123, May 9, 5:16am
very few 4x4 versions, mainly GT-T's.Caldinas are only the JDM version of the ST191 Coronas that were sold here.

intrade, May 9, 5:18am
carib is what you myght think they come in more 4x4s

ambo11, May 9, 5:24am
cheers, thanks for that.

richard198, May 9, 11:08am
Went to a dealer advertising a 4wd Caldina. Had a badge on it saying 4wd.
I look under the back axle and guess what! No drive shafts! As i walked off the dealers car lot I could hear him making lame excuses!

xacoon, May 9, 11:11am
if possible steer clear of the 4wd ones. 4wd doesnt do much good to the transmission.

r15, May 9, 12:28pm
the huge amount of high km GTT caldina 4wd's would tend to indicate they are fairly durable

xacoon, May 9, 8:46pm
try pricing a secomnd hand trans, or pricing a rebuild, even better try doing a trans swap and see if you can do it in a day. my shout if you can do it. auto trans guys in timaru said they are notorious for turning to custard on the 4wd. 2wd fine. did they come out in manual!

_peas, May 10, 12:03am
Caldinas must have only started life about 93 I would have thought!There are a lot of 4WD versions.Most of the manual ones in any guise are 4WD including all the GT-T's and the GT's.Many of the next version down the G are also 4WD that I have seen.If Toyota made more 2WD ones then I would say that the importers favour the 4WDs cos there are a lot over here.

sw20, May 10, 12:41am
Never heard of a Caldina's gearbox packing it in unless its being abused.

Your point is moot, since they very very rarely break who cares if it costs moonbeams!

ema1, May 10, 3:40am
The later ones 1998 on are ST210 bodies in the same family as the Corona Premio's.

ema1, May 10, 3:41am
Manual ones were available.

blayke-m, May 10, 4:17am
usually its only the gtt caldinas that are 4wd majourity of caldinas like the gt and the g are front wheel drive

_peas, May 10, 4:19am
Wrong.

vtecintegra, May 10, 4:21am
The GTs were all almost 4wd, as were a large proportion of the Gs.Just do a quick search and see if you can find more than a couple of 2wd GTs, I'd be surprised.

_peas, May 10, 4:37am
Show me a 2WD GT!I have never seen one. not a genuine GT with a Beams GE in it.I'd love one if I could find one but as far as I know Toyota never made them in 2WD.I've owned one before and are waiting to get another one oncesellers realise that they aren't worth 7k.

_peas, May 10, 5:02am
I stand corrected. though I am skeptical if that blue one is 2WD. Its amazing how little people know about their own cars and even more so what some dealers advertise in print!

ryanm2, May 10, 5:05am
Caldina sellers are dreamers, i bought my GTT for 5600 about 3 years ago, and sold it for that a year later, but some people want huge amounts of money for their, its nuts.

phillip.weston, May 10, 5:09am
^^ I wouldn't say that's just Caldina owners, I would say that's just about all Toyota owners. Pay a premium for a car because it's 'reliable' despite having nothing else going for it.

_peas, May 10, 5:13am
The $1 reserves have been hitting between $4k and $4.8k over the last couple of months but have either been too far away or a little rough round the edges.I'm in no hurry anyway, the s#itbox is still going strong.Well they might wake up one day.When that happens I will buy one :D

sw20, May 10, 6:33am
That one listed is 4wd contrary to the sellers knowledge. The 2wd GT's have a ST210 chassis number. The one listed has a ST215 chassis number.

_peas, May 10, 7:18am
Haha!Did NZ even get any of the 2WD ones!