Going to put new radiator on my 1990 L200, what

barrie2, May 8, 3:14am
do you guys recommend to flush out the system first! Header tank been solderedtwice in past 3 years but notice another pinprick starting to show anti-freeze teardrop after hotting up the system. Finally best way to ensure no head gasket or (!) is pressurising the system. A lot to ask.but you guys know all the answers. Thanks. All original, one owner, lots of short runs, decided to keep it and spend if necessary. 232k.

petermcg, May 8, 3:28am
when you have the radiator out flush out the motor with the garden hose, also reverse flush the heater core, just run the water for a while in say one of the heater hoses cos the thermostat will be closed and might not pass water, you will no already if your system is over pressurising due to a cracked head or blown head gasket as the water would be blown out of the system before it even reached operating temp.and you might notice bubbles in the radiater water,, pressurisation is normall when the engine is warm, you should be very carefull to remove the radiater cap when warm.

franc123, May 8, 3:40am
Being what it is I wouldn't be pulling anything apart until I'd done at TK or combustion leakage test on it, a cracked head, or the beginnings of one doesn't always cause large amounts of water to be thrown out the filler neck.If its OK then go ahead and do a block flush before installing the new radiator, in fact if its dirty do a couple of flush outs of the whole system a couple of days apart and keep doing it until it runs clean, then fit the new radiator and new antifreeze.

barrie2, May 8, 5:45am
Thanks guys - however I must confess the advice to do a "TK or combustion leakage test on it" has stopped me in my tracks. Do I need to have radiator guys do this or is it a DIY! A company on Tme in Silverdale have new radiators on Tme so may use them if I can sort out the combustion test.

barrie2, May 8, 10:04pm
Bump - for answer (please) to my Q re DIY.

ozz1, Jan 29, 4:45pm
barrie. best to maybe leave old rad iator in. and get a good garage to"tk" test in place. if all good.check all hoses. flush (as above)leave old rad in place.once happy. reflush again.drive a few days.flush again. fill with clean fresh rain water and drive for a few days. if all ok.fit new thermostat. then .fit new rad.drive a day or 2. if allgood.then add good antifreeze.