Vehicle for towing horse float - $20k budget

200sx, May 8, 1:21am
OK, so the missus has decided to buy a horse after much thought. Need a solid towing machine - I suspect my stock standard 197km 95 Berlina wagon will be a risky long-term proposition for this purpose, so I will sell it and not even go down that path. The lady we are looking to buy off runs a Landcruiser turbo diesel for her float and swears by it. However I have seen on threads here before a general consensus that Landcruisers as such while good, are overpriced (esp high km examples) and there are alternatives, such as a Nissan Patrol which seem to offer better second-hand value. For around $20k, what would be a solid option for a vehicle used primarily to tow a float! Won't be used for supermarket runs etc or daily commuting. I am not concerned with whether its petrol or diesel or runnings costs -my main priority is to find the best condition example I could up front for the budget (i.e. good service history). The vehicle would need to be where possible easy to drive "from a womans perspective" if you know what I mean, so an auto may the only real preference when selecting a vehicle. My own opinion - something like a NZ new 4.2 diesel Patrol. I'd stay clear of riskier options like an Adventra or Discovery. I'd also make sure to fit a trans cooler if not already fitted. Anyone out there will experience in this area! Cheers all

7tasman, May 8, 1:52am
we run a speedway team and use a 4.2 nissan not turbo in a bus with a large trailer all up 8 tone. slow on hills but very strong motors if you get a turbo petrol 4.2 it will do the job well

7tasman, May 8, 1:54am
also dont worry about the ks on them to much. 300 is not high for one

pollymay, May 8, 3:59am
Definately a landrover V8 and make sure it is black, has HIDs that are blindingly out of adjustment and blue or purple rather than white. Then drive around at 70 but speed up on the overtaking lanes.

200sx, May 8, 4:06am
I would have thought you would want your Landrover in army green so people can confirm that you are a try-hard.

pollymay, May 8, 4:09am
That to, then keep the plug in fridge in the middle of the back seats full of "mountain spring water" that has come from a tap in fiji

franc123, May 8, 4:10am
There is no better option than a 4.2D Patrol for the money, they are superb for towing large floats.But for carrying only one horse!The Commie will be more than up to doing that, unless of course you're planning on driving on pretty soft ground.

elect70, May 8, 5:09am
Way fuel prices are goingbe using the horse for transport towing the car

hotrodtodd1, May 8, 6:24am
Only other option I would look at is a Chev or GMC Suburban. I have an old (86 model) with a later 6.5 turbo diesel and it can tow anything & only costs about 35c per km in diesel & RUC. Thats pretty close to the fuel cost in my Volkswagen W8.

If the horse towing vehicle is going to be your wifes daily driver, I can asure you anything that big (Patrol, Cruiser or Burban) is a pig in a supermarket car park. They build parks for stupid pigmy cars

And I got my Burban stuck in the James Cook car parking building. First corner took 15 minutes to get around with help from hotel staff.

dent, May 8, 7:52am
Personaly If its one horse I would give the holden a go and see if it works out. In my view you havent got a lot to lose in trying it.

unclejake, May 8, 9:11am
The Landcruiser vs. Patrol debate seems to miss one significant fact. 20! year old (and newer) Landcruisers are permanent 4wd and Patrols are not.

After my Range Rover blew up I did heaps of research into a tow vehicle and settled (without being able to drive one) on a 2003 4.8 petrol Patrol. When it arrived on the transporter I was astounded to find out it was not permanent 4wd. It also drives like a 1980s truck (which it is) but by gawd can it tow. The Patrol has given me virtually no trouble in the last two and a half years either.

Patrol or Landcruiser! Both are bloody good

xs1100, May 8, 9:08pm
yep go the patrol only problem with 4.2 is when you do a oil change they hold 10 litres of oil hahaha but thats also why they do the big ks no problem,also remeber big 4x4 petrols have the aero dynamics of a brick so unless you have lpg you will be towing a mini tanker behind you.
autocourt out in new lynn have a couple of nz new late model patrols if you are interested also but ones a zd30 and the zd30 has a bad reputation if you google it

vtecintegra, Jan 28, 5:50pm
Not all 80s were full-time 4wd, think some of the Australia spec mining 105s may be part-time too (and there are some for sale on here)