Selling a deregistered vehicle.

curlcrown, Dec 21, 1:16am
I intend to sell a deregisted vehicle. I wouldn't usualy bother but I belive it to be a desirable enough vehicle to still have some value. I am only concerned abut change of ownership. I dont want to open a can of worms by selling it so someone who is going to drive around in it as it is. Can this be done! Thanks.

jcwholesale, Dec 21, 1:27am
If it is deregistered hand the plates in.

curlcrown, Dec 21, 1:30am
x1
yes but am I correct in thinking that even though it is degegistered the last registerd person's details are still kept on file!

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 21, 2:03am
Interesting question. I'd figure they'd have a defence since if it's deregistered they're no longer responsible for it.

phillip.weston, Dec 21, 2:09am
what is the car out of curiousity! If it already has been de-registered I wouldn't bother handing the plates in, it would make it easier for the new owner or yourself to get it re-registered with the existing plates (basically proof it has been on the roads previously).

the_don_61, Dec 21, 4:16am
Your right but dont worrie about it and DONT hand the number plates in.

Its derego, its dead.
I brought a car that died 20 years ago, brought it off the last owner on the papers from the same address. and since car still has its old black number plates, to re-rego it its a piece of cake.
Having the old plates that match its last rego seams to make it a lot easier to re-rego.

Seams if you have the old plates its just a wof, but if no plates its treated like a fresh import.

phillip.weston, Dec 21, 4:29am
and now if the car has old black plates you CAN re-register it keeping those black plates and original letter/number sequence.

phillip.weston, Dec 21, 4:31am
it all depends on the age of the vehicle. If the vehicle is a 1990 or older vehicle it goes through a much more relaxed check, regardless if it has original plates or not. If it's a 1991 or newer the check is more harsher. Having the plates is just one more form of ID proving that it's been on the roads before. Even with previous plates you still need a declaration from the Police that it is of no interest to them, and a receipt from the previous registered owner that they have transferred physical ownership to you.

sandypheet, Dec 21, 4:47am
There is no declaration from the police anymore.You need a letter or receipt from its `last` registered owner saying they disposed of the vehicle to you, or failing that you pick up a statutory declaration form,fill in the details and take to a JP or court registrar and have it signed by them.

msigg, Dec 21, 4:51am
If its off the books then you have no concern. If the new owner wants to re-register it he may ask you for your details for ltsa. same as hand over a car to the wreckers.

franc123, Dec 21, 4:56am
^^ Yep that is pretty much how it works, the important thing here with any vehicle disposal, regardless of whether the plates are live or not is making up a proper bill of sale and getting it signed off by both of you, it can simply be a handwritten note stating your name and address,being the last registered owner, the vehicle description and plate/VIN numbers, their name and address and the date of sale.If any unwelcome mail from the Police or NZTA does show up you can then prove that you no longer own it.Many people skip this and simply do the registered owner transfer via NZTA if the reg is still current, which is simply a transfer of legal responsibility, it doesn't and never has consituted ownership of anything.

franc123, Dec 21, 5:02am
I was wondering how long it would take before that requirement to be got rid of, its pointless when various info websites like Carjam or Checka or whoever else can sell you info from LANDATA stating whether its of police interest or not, why a separate declaration from the local station from a cop or their admin staff who would rather be doing something else was needed up until now was anyones guess.You would think that VTNZ/VINZ would automatically have this in front of them as soon as a lapsed vehicle was presented to them and reregistration procedures were initiated, they've got access to more govt stored info about vehicles than anyone else!

intrade, Dec 21, 6:24am
you cant change ownership on a deregistered car. as the ownership is for the registrar where it is no longer registered at.

a18a, Dec 21, 6:26am
is it the age of the vehicle now! last time I wanted to re-register a car (a few years ago now) it had to have been first registered in NZ before 1991 (the car was a 1980 something, but first registered in NZ in 1998) so I would've had to go through the full on check.

smac, Dec 21, 6:28am
The buyer can not complete the change of ownership, however you still need to do your bit and complete the MR13A (or online).

Up to you about the plates - you say in the first post that you're worried about the new owner driving it. It that case keep them, or hand them in.

If you are not worried, or have some agreement about it being re-registered, then.

hijacka, Dec 21, 7:21am
The buyer will need the last reg owners full name and address signed to re reg it. i had trouble re rego my car as i bought it de regd and the previous owner was a jaffa so couldn't write and spell for shit and wasn't very helpful when i returned to get more info, had to sit on the horn for ages just to get it to come to the door then he had forgot his name lol, i think he was pissy about selling it and the fact that i had it running again. So i was gona waste time trying to make sense of it and went to the police station and got a report for it as it was booked in the following day and they gave me everything i needed including the last owners''real''-
details.

male_timaru, Dec 21, 7:34am
Just make sure you get proof of sale signed by both parties dated and timed and witnessed by a neighbour to prove it was sold, etc

phillip.weston, Dec 21, 7:41am
Sorry you may just be right. It could be with when it was first registered rather than when manufactured. I guess that would only affect the imports which came in during the 90s etc, not so much of a problem for the older cars first registered here, or imported but registered in the 80s with black plates still.

curlcrown, Dec 21, 9:36pm
What I am concered about is if the buyer decides to drive it as is and get parning tickets left right and centre.

franc123, Dec 21, 11:22pm
x1
Thats where your DIY paperwork comes in, re read posts #11 and 17.

hijacka, Dec 22, 7:21am
The buyer will need the last reg owners full name and address signed to re reg it. i had trouble re rego my car as i bought it de regd and the previous owner was a jaffa so couldn't write and spell for shit and wasn't very helpful when i returned to get more info, had to sit on the horn for ages just to get it to come to the door then he had forgot his name lol, i think he was pissy about selling it and the fact that i had it running again. So i wasn't gona waste time trying to make sense of it and went to the police station and got a report for it as it was booked in the following day and they gave me everything i needed including the last owners''real''-
details.