Towing advice?

richard198, May 8, 10:12am
Ever plan on taking that horse float off road (paddock etc)!

zooki007, May 8, 10:13am
Forget the commodore/falcon idea, you're going to require a landcruiser/patrol sized vehicle. Diesel would be better to tow with. Daily use would be bearable but not ideal though. You could just use the horses for daily use the way fuel prices are going.

ralphdog1, May 8, 11:22am
If it is going to be your daily driver and you are going to do more than say 10k a year diesel will probably be the answer.
Me, I bought a 3.4 V6 Hilux, and only use it for towing. It was shitloads cheaper to buy, at the time probably 6-7k less than a diesel. And I dont get wacked heaps for Rego (licencing). But only do 5-6k a year and have something else economical as a daily driver.
Falcondore will be OK until you drive into your first wet paddock.

NZTools, May 8, 8:41pm
Your estimate of 1500kgs is a little light too. A tandem float with two horses and gear is usually 2000kgs or a little over.

incedentally, add a vx landcruiser to that, and you are over 4500 kgs. You cant do that on a car license

berg, May 8, 8:53pm
Agreed NZTools. Most people hugely under estimate the weight of a loaded horse float. Sure they know what their "hayburners" weigh but they often forget the tare of the trailer plus all the sundry gear that goes along with horses. Yes a Commodore or Falcon will pull that sort of weight but on a cold wet road when it turns to custurd they just dont stop or handle a bad situation well. My sugestion would be Patrol, Landcruiser or truck. Also would suggest ringing your local CVIU and arranging a test weigh to sort out any legal issues.

mrfxit, May 8, 9:04pm
Agreed about the weight totals.

Average 15H horse would be about 550 to 700kg each
Modern light construction double float minimum of about 300 up to 450kg empty
JUST enough tack for both horses & a bale of hay each upwards of 100kg pair

So really anything from about 1.2T to 2.2T total

xs1100, May 8, 9:11pm
have a look at the other thread vechile for towing horse float why all you horse people want to tow all of a sudden

mrfxit, May 8, 9:29pm
OH & Falcons & commodores DON'T stop easily with 2T behind them.
Been there done that

johnf_456, Jan 28, 2:45pm
Yip