BMW 520i opinions.

ryanm2, May 5, 5:14am
I would like a passat, but cant really afford one. So a late 90's bmw 520 is what we are considering, well equipped, big boot space (2 kids gear etc). Anything we should be wary about, how are they on gas! I know that 2l engine must work pretty hard to lug around the car, would a 525i be a better option!

cuda.340, May 5, 5:25am
the back seat is only big enough for hobbits & other dwarfs. get a sore neck riding in the back if you're regular sized.

ryanm2, May 5, 5:36am
i dont intend on being in the backseats so thats ok. just the kids.

_peas, May 5, 5:41am
My flatty had one. Thirsty as anything without the benefit of performance of any real sort.We swapped cars for a weekend when he needed a wagon and while it was comfortable it wasn't amazing.I didn't have to fill it up at all but he was always on about it and how even the BMW mechanics fessed up that it was underpowered.

ryanm2, May 5, 5:47am
so the 525 or 528 are the ways to go!

richardmayes, May 5, 6:05am
520i:
Kerb Weight 1570kg
167 Brake Horsepower @ 6100rpm
154.8 pound feet @ 3500rpm

Sounds like it would go alright as long as you kept the revs right up.!

Have a look at a V6 Accord, 1999-2003 shape.

kwaka5, May 5, 6:05am
Got a 525 e34 and love it. Have 2 little kids that go in the back. On standard long trips we average 11k/litre. gets along fine and dandy at 100kph. and i've had it steaming along at a bit quicker than that and sit on the road very nicely.
drive one and you'll love it. Take someone with you and have a nice conversation as you'll find it fairly quiet in there. Yes they are a little more cramped than what you'd think but a very fine car to own and drive. We are looking at going to a slightly later model one in the near future. Our's in NZ new, we are the 3rd owner and it was fully serviced from new. It's up to 120 thou and still trucking nicely.

sw20, Jan 15, 6:59am
That is truly terrible. My Clio has the same power at less revs, with literally 500kg less weight.