What are mondeo's like?

Page 1 / 2
mopar63, Apr 28, 6:42am
looking at updating the wife's galant,will prob spend 5-6 g's,I've had a few Falcons and at presenthave an EL wagon, was thinking an AU wagon or maybe a 2002-2005 Mondeo wagon ,are theModeo's trouble!auto or manual !car mainly for around town carting kids etc, the odd trip,jappa's seem a bit overpriced for what you get these days,your thoughts!

intrade, Apr 28, 6:45am
usually cap cars sell cheap. keep that in mind as the basic rule.

unbeatabull, Apr 28, 7:20am
Our nickname for them at work are Mon-dogs lol.

Earlier ones are ok, the latest Generation ones are by far a nicer ride, more economic, more power etc (Especially the turbo diesel variants), but they chew through the brake pads and rotors super quick . expect rotors and pads every 60,000kms

marcos1, Apr 28, 7:29am
I've just worked on a late model one.
Why would you position a trans computer attached to the left front washer bottle!
Probably the most hit area of a car.

franc123, Apr 28, 7:59am
Buy the AU and don't bother with anything else, you will be getting the best value all around, .Since you already know roughly how much fuel a 4.0 Falcon wagon uses, you will find the fuel economy of a 2.0 Mondeo, especially an auto, a BIG disappointment in comparision, for the amount of grunt you (don't) get.After being used to a coon I guarantee it will piss you off, especially on those uphill passing lanes, or if you want to tow something heavy.Although obviously if you are keeping the EL for that sort of thing it won't be a problem.You will also find the Mondeo load area cramped after having a Falcon, as is the case with most so called midsize wagons.No brainer IMO.

sifty, Apr 28, 8:24am
On the other hand.

Bought an 05 ex fleet wagon, cheap as chips and hasn't missed a beat. Think it has the largest load capacity in the class (easily fits car seats in back etc) and drives pretty nicely. Seems pretty well equipped too. The only bad things I have heard about this model is the auto trans (plus the euro indicator/wiper layout is a bit annoying swapping between cars). Our 5 speed has given fantastic service over several years with no trouble. Would happily upgrade to next model as soon as newer fleet cars are available, usually high kms but have been fully serviced. Oh and fuel economy pretty good, better than the company car and much better than the Subie ski wagon.

mike77, Apr 28, 9:51am
Hi Mr Mopar, we are doing the exact same thing, been told to look for a 03 onwards mondeo - slightly different front bumper easiest difference (apparently 01 - 03 has an intake butterfly that can disintergrate and cause expensive repair), and they can be underpowered especially the auto - manual's the go (If your wife will drive it - unlike mine) but will boogie if you really kick it in the guts.
By all reports otherwise decent cars especially for the money which seem to do high km's if treated right.
Will update this next week when we pick up ours and compare it directly to the EL!

quickstitch, Apr 28, 9:53am
SHIT

mike77, Apr 28, 9:55am
I can understand the comparison to an AU or BA for that matter - but the insides are a much nicer place to be, handle nicer, and ours won't be the tow wgn. Econmy seems only to be a small improvement by what I've been told, but the coon's have alot more potential to drink more if thrashed.

franc123, Apr 28, 10:00am
The point is you don't have to thrash it.the Mondeo you do if you need to do something in a hurry, or lots of hill work.Never mind, you will find out soon enough :)

fordcrzy, Apr 28, 10:04am
get a manual one the autos are slow. we had a 2002 wagon and it wasn't slow.it just felt it. we compared it to a 2 liter IVTEC honda and the honda FELT faster as it was ringing its nuts off but wasnt actually any faster than the mondy. just make sure the clutch feels good and tight without a hint of slipping. a clutch job is about TWO GRAND! also check the wheels. the steel wheels are SOFT and prone to bending when hitting even small potholes(the focus is the same).great cars otherwise.

mopar63, Apr 28, 10:09am
ok, was looking at Mondeo's because the wife wanted to back to a manual but I'd rather have a coon myself,not worried about the gas they use ,which isn't as much as some think ,we've had an XE, EA,ED ,EL plus I run a AMC Javelin so gas usage aint the biggie really,just thought might be good to a late modelshitter for not too much money.
It'll probably come down to colour, is it clean !,does it smell!and heaven help me if it leaks.

twit7, Apr 28, 10:48am
dont buy the mondeo,buy the au ,then you can pick up yor own cars

fordcrzy, Apr 28, 11:01am
looks like a hearse

dbolton, Apr 29, 12:47am
My advise would be to do your own research on Google to get an unbiased opinion. Too many people on here give advisewithout actually knowing the facts and have never worked on them or owned one. Many cars that I have owned including BMW's etc get negative reviews but i have found were fantastic cars and pleasure to drive . With regard to the Mondeo, I have also found them to be excellent value with fuel consumption around8 litre per 100 ks . Yes ! prior to 2003 they did have trouble with the butterfly valves on the inlet manifold but they are easily removed in a couple of hours with no change in performance.In fact 2004 or 2005 they were not fitted. Most European cars now recommend changing the rotorsat the same time as the pads are changed, again the mileage depends on driving habits. Also bear in mind that the Duratec engine was developedby Mazda and Ford. I am not sure if the motor is still used in the newer models. If possible buy NZ new model.

phillip.weston, Apr 29, 1:05am
I have owned a 2004 facelift Mondeo 2.0 5spd man Estate, which had nearly 400,000kms on the clock. I was very much impressed with it, despite the kms the engine ran very smooth with no oil burning, leaking or rattling. The gearbox was still smooth too with no bearing or gear whine. In fact the only give away that it had indeed done those kms was stone chipping on the bonnet/bumper and a few rips and wear marks on the seats. Economy was very good, the rated average was 8L/100km (compared to 9.3L/100km for the auto) and I was able to achieve that easily. Interior room and boot space is excellent for a mid-sized car.

I didn't have it for too long but in the time of owning it I didn't have to do a single thing to it, apart from drive it. The drive is fairly rewarding too, it felt nice and firm on the road yet agile enough for spirited driving. The interior is a nice place to be and the outside isn't bad looking either.

jfstyle, Apr 29, 6:52am
okay first thing with a mondeo wagon they have two problems.auto transmission needs a oil change at 80kms.if not done trans goes at 130 to 140 kms.every one gone no trans fluil change and serviced at the local mechanic who knows stuff all about modern cars.how sad.second problem and the most common because serviced once again by the local mechanic who charged $100 for a oil and filter but dosent check the plastic radiator bottle for cracks which mazdas 6 and ford mondeo useandreplace them at five years$100 regard less if they need doing or not they leak and cook the motors.
great car with 2003 onwards eight airbags and very good build quailty.service it and you will love the car
mondeo owner and yes my dad dont service as it as i told him many times as he liked his drinking buddy at the pub who is a mechanic to service it.
jonthan the car salesman and yes have sold tens of them they are a great car

shelleigh, Apr 29, 8:05am
I looked at a Mondeo wagon today and also Focus wagon. Haven't driven either yet but am wondering how the Focus compare with the Mondeos. Salesman said they have same motor.

fordcrzy, Apr 30, 6:07am
thay are the same mzr engine. mondeos are great value for money.there are a few things to look for that fail. but ifyou know thay have been done then your ok.

mike77, Apr 30, 7:42am
Update, Just drove home a BA wagon as the EL was getting beyond economic repair.
Would still get a mondeo though but needed a new tow / work wgn first.

any one want an EL wgn wof and reg til Jul, dif whinges more than the missus, but the front brakes are rooted more than the mistress!

roys351, Apr 30, 11:54am
and she will turn the wipers on every time she wants to indicate

wrong2, May 1, 11:51am
euros for you

dunno why they like it like that - seems backwards to how you actually want them to be

euros love their odd nut-bolt-washer sizes too

fordcrzy, May 1, 12:15pm
3 words.LEFT HAND DRIVE

phillip.weston, May 1, 1:58pm
Maybe it's everyone else who is doing it back to front! I find it's not harder or easier either side they are on, and once you get used to the other side it's fine.

fatboyswife, Jan 1, 4:47pm
I LOVE my mondeo.It's the best car I've driven.
I have a 1997 hatchback, manual.Its original 'place of birth' lol, was Belgium.

It is so fuel economic!Doesn't chew gas at all (compared to my honda odyssey anyway).It's so smooth, so zippy, and so cheap to run.

I paid just over $4k for it.Money well spent.The only problem that I had was ummm, some 'common' problem with them which cost about $400 for new ones.Which seems so minor.

My sister owns one also, but she has a much newer model.She loves hers aswell!Although I think hers has cost her more than mine in maintenance.