Whats wrong with my car it sounds like a tractor

jojo.w, Apr 30, 9:03am
was driving it today was fine then all of a sudden started roaring, has been a bit fumy last few weeks

jmma, Apr 30, 9:04am
You ran over a Lion (o:

jasongroves, Apr 30, 9:04am
Exhaust/manifold leak would be my bet.

morrisman1, Apr 30, 9:19am
your 16 year old son cut off the exhaust to make mums car cool with the bros!

flagheaven, Apr 30, 9:24am
allmassey fergusons sound like that !

jojo.w, Apr 30, 9:26am
lol my 18 month old baby will probably do that when hes 16

johnf_456, Apr 30, 9:27am
what sort of car and what has changed!

jojo.w, Apr 30, 9:33am
toyota corona, was going fine today although has been a bit fumy last couple of weeks then i was driving into my property today and all of a sudden it started roaring really loud honestly sounds like a tractor

johnf_456, Apr 30, 9:35am
Possibly you have a hole in the exhaust, find a rag or something and put it over the tail pipe for a few seconds and see if it gets worse. and I say a rag as it will get sooty blocking the flow a bit should make the noise worse if there is leak / hole.

morrisman1, Apr 30, 9:35am
Id put money on the exhaust breaking at some point, it happens.

get down on on the ground and with the engine running have a look around underneath, listening and looking for any breaks in the exhaust system. It could be as simple as a $20 weld or a bit more work may be required

jojo.w, Apr 30, 9:39am
ok awum thanks every1 i was worried it was going to cost me heaps, i will have a look at the exaust tomorrow.

jasongroves, Apr 30, 9:56am
What year Corona!
Some of the late '80s models had non-cross flow design (intake and exhaust on same side of engine).
Stupid design and prone to fail and cause leaks.
Pain in the arse to get to and fix unfortunately.
Do as morryman suggested, but get a decent sized rag and cover the muffler/exhaust tip.
Will help you narrow down the source of the leak.

jasongroves, Apr 30, 9:58am
Ooops. just noticed John posted pretty much the same thing.lol

jojo.w, Apr 30, 10:50am
its a 1994 hope its not too hard to fix

pollymay, Apr 30, 12:23pm
Prolly a 3sfe or something, they go forever but sometimes the flex joins in the exhaust break and they rust.

jojo.w, Apr 30, 11:12pm
mechanic had a look today the exaust has come away in the engine needs to be welded back on, cheers every1

johnf_456, Apr 30, 11:30pm
Thought that was the case

kiwitrader43, Dec 30, 10:43am
The fanhub/clutch may have seized up which will make a roaring sound under the bonnet if it has a fan/clutch. Usually on rear wheel drive older ones.