3 out of 6 for fuel>?

Page 1 / 2
jezz43, Apr 27, 5:40am
yes, 1 out of 6 difference.

but serously, its not that much of a decrease. i think its something like $500 over the average running costs per year.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 5:52am
If you are thinking of buying a very new one I would suggest you take a VW Amarok for a drive. Its a much better truck, better value, more reliable and much better on fuel.

The Japanese Diesels are miles behind what VW/Fiat/Mercedes produce because Japan did not allow any domestic diesel cars for a decade. a decade that was revolutionary in the world of Diesel technology.

Now VW have entered the Ute market you can get something that really is properly better than the Japanese utes of old.

Better to hang in a little longer and pick up a secondhand Amarok when they start appearing, or if you can afford it buy a new one.

jezz43, Apr 27, 5:52am
jazz. recommending something thats not a fiat!

are you sick mate!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 5:53am
LOL, you do realise the Amarok is a VW aye!
I recommend plenty of those too!

jezz43, Apr 27, 5:54am
yea, they are bloody awesome machines to drive. but still. not a fiat punto converted to a monster truck!

jezz43, Apr 27, 5:57am
haha, thats fricken awesome! how did i know you would find something like that tho.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 6:07am
Definitely, especially when you consider that the new common rail Diesel used by Toyota is not gaining a great reputation for reliability.
The Amarok has been properly thought out and is better in a lot more ways than just the engine and economy.

jezz43, Apr 27, 6:08am
amarok looks better, plus euros pull better chicks than japas lol

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 6:09am
Are we comparing the Diesels or Petrols!

vtecintegra, Apr 27, 6:10am
Much better!

Amorok 4wd - 7.8l/100km combined
Hilux 4wd - 8.3l/100km combined

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 6:13am
If you are using the governments fuelsaver sight don't trust it, its horribly inaccurate.

vtecintegra, Apr 27, 6:15am
Straight from the Toyota and VW sites

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 6:15am
You have to remember they are tested by two different methods for those figures. When they have been independently tested in reviews the Amarok is usually more economical than than the figures suggest when compared to the Hilux.

Also, the Amarok Diesel will not let you down (loads of problems with the new Hilux Diesel as they are trying to play catch up in a big hurry), has better climbing abilities, a much better gearbox (especially if you are wanting an auto), it can fit an entire pallet on the tray, its more comfortable to travel in etc etc

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 6:16am
Wasn't meaning you vtec, more the original poster. Your figures are correct.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 6:20am

xacoon, Apr 27, 6:21am
so what are these amorok (worst name ever!) worth in nz moneys. looks leave a little to be desired too.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 6:25am
Thats the amazing thing, they start from just $43'000!
Have a look at the spec comparison matrix on this review.
http://sybildoms.over-blog.com/article-volkswagen-amarok-vs-toyota-hilux-61497848.html

vtecintegra, Apr 27, 6:27am
IIRC the EC figures are actually slightly more forgiving than ADRwhich is why the Golf numbers are slightly better here than in Australia.

xacoon, Apr 27, 6:27am
and are they actually built to handle nz conditions! or designed just to drive on roads (like a late model hilux)!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 6:30am
I suspect it dosn't translate well for Utility vehicle use though, although for whatever reason I find the economy figures for VW's are always very conservative compared to what I get in the real world.
It may even be a quirk with VW's "freeing up" and becoming more economical once they have a few km's on them. Clearly though its not just me if independent reviewers are finding the same thing.

xacoon, Apr 27, 6:30am
is there comparisons to anything except a hilux! the mighty lux has lost its way, I would no longer buy one as a farm ute.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 6:32am
They are built to be more robust than the Hilux. Stronger chassis, bigger load capacity and much better towing capacity.
Also, when the auto comes along which will actually be the commercial DSG unit it things will be even better again when comparing auto hilux to dsg VW.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 6:33am
Have a search around. Plenty of comparisons have been done against pretty much all of the competition. Nothing else really comes close to being as good right across the board.

vtecintegra, Apr 27, 6:33am
A single blog post with an unsourced fuel economy number (and numerous other errors if you actually read the spec table) is not the same thing as 'independent reviews'

We all know you think every VW is significantly better than its official numbers, and all Japanese cars are significantly worse but in the real world this is not true

xacoon, Apr 27, 6:34am
forget hilux, new ones arent built for anything but onroad either. they're a bit wide arent they! a new lux is too wide for most bush tracks. and dont start me on auto utes.