3 out of 6 for fuel>?

Page 2 / 2
xacoon, Apr 27, 6:36am
I concur. aside from the foul name and lacking looks I would like to take one on the farm for a few weeks in the middle of winter and see how it performs. as in nz conditions.

xacoon, Apr 27, 6:38am
I guess the pressing question is. have you actually driven one yet jazz! offroad! and by that I dont mean a gravel road.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 6:38am
How many VW's have you owned and tested!
For example with the FSI 2.0 Golf/Audi we have had 3 in the family. All carefully tested and all far exceeded the listed economy ratings. My Fiats by comparison doing the exact same running only achieved their rating, no more no less.

I have read many reviews on the Amarok (mostly when they came out)those that I read that tested the economy of all test vehicles during their comparative tests showed the gap to be larger.

But even if they did all get the rated economy, the VW is still more economical. Its still more reliable and its still quantifiably a much better truck.

vtecintegra, Apr 27, 6:40am
I can get vastly better than Japanese numbers for my Skyline too if i'm careful.Really doesn't prove anything in general

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 6:42am
Nope not had the privilege yet. However having driven other VW's with the same technology and read reviews by the die hard asian truck loving community I think its fairly safe to say that what the reviewers are saying is right.
Incidentally, the DSG will potentially be a fantastic truck. No torque converter, potential for 8 or so gears in one range, you can't accidentally slip and burn the clutch, proper engine braking (and assisted as well), low maintenance. the list goes on.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 6:44am
There is a clear pattern. If on the same exact test repeated many times I get consistent numbers from my Fiats that match the ratings yet consistently better than rated with the VW's thats a pattern.

xacoon, Apr 27, 6:46am
so long story short, you asking others how many fiats etc they own so they have right to judge is a bit hypocritical yeh! funny you mention the die hard asian truck market. do you remember what happened when kubota tractors first hit the market in nz!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 6:54am
No, I was asking how many VW's they own. which is entirely relevant since they were saying that VW's don't use less fuel than they are rated.
I know because I have been there first hand and tested. many times.

The reason I mentioned the Fiats is because the Fiats for example did not exceed their ratings on the same exact tests. Which leads to the conclusion that its not my driving causing the extra economy.

xacoon, Apr 27, 7:00am
I beg to differ, you promoting the anorak without testing and then using the "how many vws have you owned" is no different from me trying to sell a lightning f150, I have owned plenty of fords, read the reviews, doesnt qualify me to claim they are better than anything else.

xacoon, Apr 27, 7:05am
and for the record, kubota brought a range of tractors to NZ. had a field day where the kiwi boys got to have a play, said kiwi boys got a telling off from mr kubota man and told "they arent designed to be used like this" kubota then went home and had to redesign the tractors released over here. there is not a lot designed for nz conditions, and I have the feeling that your peoples car ute will be no different. time will tell, foreign reviews wont.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 7:11am
Kiwi reviews echo the same sentiment. VW don't just make cars for Germany, they have been exporting off road vehicles all over the world for decades. Also a lot of points are easily quantifiable even without testing. Things like making the load tray wide enough to accommodate a standard pallet, better safety etc are all quantifiable without testing.

Heres a kiwi review, there are several others available if you google.
http://www.farmtrader.co.nz/View/Article/Volkswagen-Amarok-ute/2353.aspx

xacoon, Apr 27, 7:21am
do they make a drop side! drop sides can carry a pellet too, your ute may be fine on the road, but a lot of points arent quantifiable without spending a wet miserable winter in waist deep mud. they will not have had nz in mind when being built, sick of reading reviews sorry, most are meaningless.

xacoon, Apr 27, 7:25am
just had a look at a few more pics though, not built with muddy boots in mind is it. I got as far as "rolling hills" in that last link you sent. got anything that was tested in the backblocks!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 7:36am
Have a look about 2 and a half minutes in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=oTf_1pfRBtw&feature=related

The 4WD system VW uses is amazing and well proven on their other 4WD's. You can't beat them for stability, especially when towing. There have been many tests of VW's 4motion system on everything from ice to sand to mud. The traction and control is stunning.

xacoon, Apr 27, 7:44am
those boys keep their driveway nice and tidy dont they, not a pothole or underunner to be seen

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 7:49am
LOL, there is just no pleasing some people!
Its been fun!

BTW, what impresses me is not the climbing ability, its how much control you have going down hill. That's the bit that tends to scare me when pushing the limits of things. I am sure your driveway is twice as steap and you drive it blind folded in a 2WD with slicks while eating a pie without a second thought though.

busdriverman, Apr 27, 7:50am
I find it interesting to note that when reading reviews of utes, the writers always mention the great fuel consumption figures, and also the great towbar rating that their utes have. But I have never seen any fuel consumption figures for when the ute is towing a trailer that weighs whatever the utes maximum braked trailer rating is.

If you ask a ute salesman about fuel consumption when towing, they have no idea.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 7:53am
Actually, I can tell you (and this is from memory so forgive me if its not 100%) I remember reading a review where they filled the load bed right up and then attached a big heavy trailer and measured just that.

That was the one situation where the new Hilux did fractionally better in consumption. It used something like 13l/100km loaded up like that which I thought was pretty good.

The interesting thing is when you load them up like that the Amarok is supposed to be a lot more stable and pleasant to drive.

xacoon, Apr 27, 7:55am
my driveway is flat, but hills aside that was a smooth track. I have driven farm tracks that have bottomed out a tractor, no exageration either. the width thing puts me off them too, a new 'lux is too wide, this thing is wider! bells and whistles aside, the ute has got to hold together in conditions they arent designed for, so reviews are pointless unless you are looking at a purely onroad vehicle, same with fuel figures, but if its all about onroad, why worry about 4wd!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 27, 8:01am
In fairness, if your tracks and gates are too skinny you are out of luck with the Amarok. I think they have gone the right way though with the width for load carrying and stability, but as they say you can't have it both ways.

I wouldn't be worried about how they last though. VW build this kind of thing stupidly tough. Just look at the stupid things people do with Toureg's etc, you get nutters deciding it would be fun to go and pull a Boeing 747 with one and stupid things like that. I know a local farmer who decided to use his brand new one to tow a massive 4 Wheel trailer up a steep paddock with a load of several tonnes regularly because the tractor didn't have a stereo and was cold.

When you go building something with 750Nm of torque you have to build it strong. You don't really get a choice in the matter.

I am yet to see an off road capable VW that isn't over built in that area.

Anyhow, if you get the chance, try one for yourself.
Have a great night!

xacoon, Dec 19, 2:48am
you never answered though, do they bring out a drop side!