Ford Escape owners past and present :)

Page 1 / 2
shelleigh, Apr 23, 8:16am
I'm looking at buying a Ford Escape in the not too distant future, probably a 3L V6.
I'm interested to know why others bought one and also why others have sold theirs.

xs1100, Apr 23, 8:37am
can i ask why,they are not a very exciting car or very well spec ed.colum shift and everything have you had a good look at the nissan x trails or the suzuki vitara also avaliable as a 3.0 v6 and the top of the range one very well spec ed

mugenb20b, Apr 23, 9:24am
My boss has one, they drive well, heaps of torque, comfortable, practical, easy to get in and out of, easy to service as long as nothing major goes wrong. But, I think there are better SUVs for the same price. If you are looking at SUVs, I would advise on getting one that has both 'high' and 'low' range options (like Suzuki Vitara for example).

shelleigh, Apr 23, 9:59am
I just really like them although the Nissan Xtrail is a nice looking SUV too. I like the boxy shapes as opposed to the rounded ones like the Holden Captiva.
Am wanting something to take to the ski field and lakes as well as around town - I probably only do around 50km a week round town.
Someone I know has a Suzuki and said it is very thirsty - they have only had it about four months and looking at selling it already.

mugenb20b, Apr 23, 10:01am
V6 Escape will be thirsty too.on short trips.

xs1100, Apr 23, 10:04am
well if you are going down round the snow i personally would prefer the suzuki just for the fact that they are a proper 4wd with the high low ratio box or else you should be taking some chains and learn how to put them on and drive on them before you get down there also

phillip.weston, Apr 23, 10:05am
Go for an Outlander.

dent, Apr 23, 10:13am
wasnt it called the exploder for a reason. Didnt they have major cam chain issue!

shelleigh, Apr 23, 10:18am
Mugenb as I only do about 50km a week around town, I'm not too concerned about fuel economy on short trips.
xs1100 as I've been putting chains on since I had my first car over 25 years ago, I'm very familiar with driving in the snow with them on - it's definitely a good idea to practice putting them on before you go up though :)
Column change wouldn't bother me as I learnt to drive in a VC Valiant and my first car was a Mark 2 Cortina - showing my age here lol

phillip.weston, Apr 23, 10:18am
The Escape is not the same as the Explorer.

xs1100, Apr 23, 10:18am
yes but the ops talking about an escape totally differant

dent, Apr 23, 10:21am
I thort it was the v6 that had the chain issues tho. They had some strange cam chain front and back of the engine did they not! Correct me if im wrong.

xs1100, Apr 23, 10:22am
hahaha you commented about the suzuki being thirsty and then say you re not concerned,the colum shift most are autos and the reason i commented on that is that they are just so plain inside no sort of centre consul or anything just that huge gap and not many people seem to like the colum change autos.glad you know about chains also in that case havea 2nd look at some of the nissans.also what sort of budget are you actually looking at

shelleigh, Apr 23, 10:29am
I'm not concerned about thirsty around town but I certainly do not want something that is thirsty on long trips - which is what my friend has found his Suzuki is.
I don't mind auto as long as there's a reasonable amount of grunt for passing which is why I am considering the 3L V6 model.
Budget will probably be around $15 000, could be more.

phillip.weston, Apr 23, 10:32am
The V6 in the Explorer is not the same V6 in the Escape.

xs1100, Apr 23, 10:36am
most proper 4wds are going to be slightly thirstier around town and on trips than a normal car most have the aero dynamics of a brick but would be surprised if it was to bad,they might not of been expecting it or what did they have before they got the suzuki its just that for the sort of money you are talking i would think the suzis going to be the best option and you should get some change from your 15k also if buying through a dealer for total peace of mind get a warrenty (things do go wrong on all cars)

dent, Apr 23, 10:37am
oky thats alright then I stand corrected.

shelleigh, Apr 23, 11:01am
xs1100 I think they had an old landrover. Getting a warranty is definitely a good idea.
I like sitting up higher and am wanting something to put a couple of kayaks on in the summertime although it would certainly be easier getting them on and off my '97 Corolla station wagon than an SUV.
Will keep looking and comparing SUV's - thank you for all the helpful advice - I really appreciate it :)

smellykelly, Apr 23, 11:08am
I had one about a year ago.sold it and wish I never did.was the best car i owned.great with kids, really robust car, good for towing, riverbeds etc. Was a wee bit thirsty.but not unreasonable for a bigger car. I'm looking at getting another agan now as I miss my old one.sold it far too damn cheap too! I would recommend them.

smellykelly, Apr 23, 11:10am
Get running boards on the escape and you can reach the roof racks easy

shelleigh, Apr 23, 11:17am
Thanks for that Kelly :) I'm not wanting a big 4WD like an Explorer and have liked the Escapes since I first saw them.
Did it have a good turning circle and what was it like to parallel park!

rjgmjs, Apr 23, 1:49pm
Alot of those Escapes were ex rentals, i think Avis/Hertz did a bulk buy way back in 2003-4, some spent alot of there hired life in the rugged/tourist parts of the South Island. I'm not saying anything negative about them, just what i had been told, because i did buy an ex hire Escape 3.6 litre (2004 model) great comfortable, peppy wagon, but yep there a bit thirsty if used in town all the time. Another car i wished i hadn't sold. Go on shout yourself one.

shelleigh, Apr 23, 11:05pm
Thanks rjgmjs :)The fact they were rentals is a good thing as rental companies generally buy reliable vehicles. How manuvourable are they! I know someone who has a Suzuki Swift hatch and the turning circle on it is miserable! A friend's V6 Falcon honestly has a better one.

shelleigh, Apr 24, 4:41am
Well after reading heaps of threads about Ford wagons, I'm now considering being a typical woman and changing my mind lol
The Mondeo would be a better choice for me than an Escape in terms of economy, reliability, safety and practicality.
So I've decided I will take both for test drives and have a feeling, that while I'll love sitting up higher in the Escape, the Mondeo will be more comfortable and peppy.

xs1100, Apr 24, 7:28am
dont forget the mondeo is a english car so therefore every thing is on wrong side eg headlight switch,indicators. and probably a lot better to stick with the japanese reliability, do a google search on reliability and the reveiws for the early mondeos