Porsche 928 turbo smoking like a train at idle

Page 1 / 2
almosttherenow, Apr 16, 8:34am
Hi guys, Here is the story. The engine and turbo has had a full rebuild (bored, honed, crank grind, rings, bearings, valves seats, gaskets etc.) and smoked real bad from day 1. Has had another set of rings (different brand used 2nd time) put in and stem seals changed turbo rechecked while apart and still smoking like a train at idle take it out for a drive and work it hard smoke clears get back from drive and leave it idling 5 minutes and it smoking bad again. been thru the breathers system to not find anything to be at fault. anyone got any suggestions where to go to next! Tia.

sas777, Apr 16, 8:46am
Mmm, not knowing much about Porsches but knowing trucks and big stuff I'd have a guess that the turbo seals are not seating properly. Wrong size or material, or fitted incorrectly

jasongroves, Apr 16, 8:48am
What colour is the smoke!

almosttherenow, Apr 16, 8:49am
Sent the turbo back to who did it and they reckon nothing wrong. checked inside turbo and it was dry this morning. Smoke is blue.

m16d, Apr 16, 9:17am
You have too much oil in the engine. Check the stick.
Check you have the right stick for the engine.

chris_051, Apr 16, 9:18am
first time I've heard of a 928 turbo (924, 944!). Were the rings aligned correctly, having the gaps in line with the gudegon pins can cause an increase in oil consumption.

almosttherenow, Apr 16, 9:19am
Sez 5 litres in the book and it has 4.5 in it at the moment.

almosttherenow, Apr 16, 9:26am
Take out the spark plugs and you can see oil in the dish of the pistons maybe 1/4 teaspoon in each. and the gaps in the rings couldnt line up with the gudgeons on all cylinders both times could they!

fordcrzy, Apr 16, 9:55am
928 turbo! didnt know they turbo'd the V8.:)

flockton55, Apr 16, 9:56am
No chance is there that head gasket or oil gallery sealing could be at fault! Same amount of oil in every piston!Does pulling one plug lead at a time make any difference to see which cylinder is worst!Idle is highest vacuum, so is itbeing pulled in from a faulty valve guide maybe!

almosttherenow, Apr 16, 9:57am
Sorry guys I got that wrong. 924 turbo badges on the back. It a 4cyl turbo jobby. When I say smoking it could easily be mistaken as it being on fire its that bad.

fordcrzy, Apr 16, 9:59am
in any case i would be having a real good look at the turbo drain line back into the block. if these get restricted they can cause oil back pressure which gets past the seals.

almosttherenow, Apr 16, 10:07am
#14 Yip looked at that Its about a half inch diameter hose that goes into the side of the sump. the motor is a slant set up and the return hose has a right angle bend in it that actually goes up hill into the side of the sump and the into the side of the sump hole is very low on the sump also. I would say the return is lower than the oil level!

fordcrzy, Apr 16, 10:11am
see if you can remove the line from the sump and check it out. make sure it hasnt been restricted in the sump by a different sump baffle being fitted from a non turbo engine and check the internals of the pipe to make sure it isnt coked up.

edit: generally oil drains should be above the oil level to improve drianage.the oil out of the turbo is frothy and HOT so needs all the help it can to get back into the sump.

peejeles, Apr 16, 10:12am
thats what i thought too

fordcrzy, Apr 16, 10:14am
also double check the "banjo bolt" that feeds oil to the turbo to make sure it hasnt been replaced. the banjo's sometimes have an oil restrictor in them to stop overpowering the seals.if the banjo was replaced and it has a bigger hole then you may get issues

almosttherenow, Apr 16, 10:17am
Cheers fordcrzy sounds like somewhere to look, Keep the suggestions coming tho guys this suckers got me stumped but I feel its just a little something im missing!

fordcrzy, Apr 16, 10:26am
have you replaced/cleaned the crank case ventilation valve! (PCV valve)

almosttherenow, Apr 16, 10:41am
Checked the banjo and put a restrictor in it, no difference, the it doesnt seem to have a pcv just a crank case vent on the side of the block.

heads1st, Apr 16, 11:18am
A long shot - could it be coming from the brake booster!.

almosttherenow, Apr 16, 11:29am
#22 Ive looked at that also, but at the rate it smokes it would be emptying the reservoir pretty quickly. It has a raw half burnt oil smell to it. Not that I know what burnt brake fluid would smell like tho! Keep the ideas coming tho guys its good to bounce the ideas around.

hutchk, Apr 16, 6:53pm
Although that would be fairly awesome.

almosttherenow, Apr 17, 9:38pm
#24 That would be a cool car, they would have to call it the 92awesome or something! Haha. Come on guys keep the ideas coming. Ill spend the day on it tomorrow.

fordcrzy, Apr 18, 9:19am
i'd take the crank case vent off and block the "intake " side of it. run the car and see if it smokes.

muzzaandmich, Apr 18, 10:10am
remove the lead from your boots,,,works wonders . all sorted .