Valve stem seals nissan avenir.

cleetusnz, Apr 23, 4:04am
So my Avenir has been painfully difficult to start in the mornings. Mechanics replaced the thermo sensor, and this has made the idle better.-But still takes 3 or 4 goes to start it in the morning.

Mechanics took it to an auto sparky to run diagnostics, and noticed it seemed to be burning a lot of oil-smoking them out of the workshop.

Diagnostic showed it was running rich, then starving, then running rich, which in turn was probably contributing to the hard start.

Mechanic reckons valve stem seals are probably knackered.We are talking prices etc next week. Anyone got any idea what Im in for! 97 avenir, 1800cc.

morrisman1, Apr 23, 4:10am
valve stem seals wont cause that, they will cause smoke on startup and after coasting in gear but the fuelling issue is probably different.

In the computer readout it will have displays of the information that the computer uses to calculate fuelling and the critical ones are Mass Air Flow, RPM and engine temperature.

cleetusnz, Apr 24, 2:39am
Cheers.

I'm not really sure what to do next with it.

phillip.weston, Apr 24, 3:12am
do you notice any smoke out the exhaust when you start it!

cleetusnz, Dec 5, 6:10pm
x1
I hadnt really.but the other day when i started in the mechanics workshop I started it, then the mechanic beckoned me to get out to show me. Fair amount of smoke coming out.