So when the petrol light comes on in your car.

Page 2 / 3
gamerman_64, Apr 9, 9:38pm
My car doesnt even have a petrol light

But I find that when the needle is near the bottom its time to fill up anyway, am I wrong!

upnorth, Apr 9, 10:33pm
When the petrol light comes on the needle is still above E and E stands for E-nough doesn't it!

To remember when the light did come on I reset trip B to zero and anticipate 150km is comfortably achievable in the Corolla.

elect70, Apr 10, 3:55am
As the lady said to the garage , I dont know whats happened, all the lights on dash were red , thats good isnt it !

tha_ants, Apr 10, 6:20am
Gota be careful with buying a car, if someone has replaced the fuel pump with one that has a shorter flap it could die just as the light comes on as the flaps shorter so cant reach as much fuel as is should.

chargerchick, Apr 10, 12:31pm
I have a warning alarm on my v8 Fairmont to(bloody annoying , LOL)but I'm wondering how many k's I would still get.! Someone told me to never let it run out completely as if stuffs ya motor,something to do with the fuel injectors. Anyone know if that's true ! :)

autocars1, Apr 10, 7:02pm
Some cars are empty as the light comes on.most you can get 10-40kms.but pays not to coz there is always gunk in the bottom of the tank and it can block the filters and that's another problem you don't need.

tradertech, Apr 10, 7:09pm
When little light comes on - it means you Wouldn't be able to make it to a petrol station with petrol after an earthquake- so never let it get that low.

I think lots of Christchurch people learnt that lesson

quickstitch, Apr 10, 8:54pm
dont ya hate that whqqsh. jump in, start the car, hit the reset button. I get it bad now im starting to use my LPG a bit more. i run the petrol low and switch over, but the computer still nags me to put gas in.

wizid, Apr 10, 9:10pm
8o ks skyline 250

racetoy, Apr 10, 9:30pm
aahhh good old BA falcon when it says 42 km left we are walking cause its just run out of gas,,most unreliable fuel gauge ever

-weasel-, Apr 10, 10:22pm
My light comes on just under the 1/4 mark.theres really no point in having it

-weasel-, Apr 10, 10:24pm
Yeah, Have heard that aswell- If your filling up all the time you would get grip and old crap at the bottom so if you finally let it get to E you would be using the scummy stuff. not such a big deal if you are constantly going to E though.

ema1, Apr 10, 11:52pm
Yep both have got "big holes" in em!

electro2000, Apr 11, 6:05am
don't no about your car but mine sucks from the bottomlike all cars Ive ownedso it would start sucking the fuel from the bottom and use the top stuff last wouldn't it or would all the fuel slop around and all be the same !And as for people that say it will suck all the crap off the bottom when the fuel gets low i can't for the life of me work that one out

matthew111, Apr 11, 7:30am
it is supposed to tell you to fill up not risk travelling much further.

joanie04, Apr 11, 7:33am
My dad had three hondas, two went for 50km and one just stopped as soon as the light came on.The holden I had was 50km according to the previous owner but I never risked it.Not sure whether the laser has a light (gone back in years) don't let it get too low

stevo2, Apr 11, 8:06am
05 Hiace diesel van light comes on at about 530km. I've got to about 610km-630km once or twice before refuelling.
Cheers Stevo

jmma, Apr 11, 8:15am
Petrol light is on everytime I get to drive the bloody car, off to the gas station I go (o:

321mat, Apr 11, 11:55pm
About 140-150km in my Legacy. and then it's "push" time, and believe you me, I've done that a fair bit.

*sigh*

mattlhancock, Apr 12, 12:04am
One of life's great lessons eh, running out of petrol for the first time. I remember my first time. 1985 Ford Laser wagon, new GF in the front seat, raining, 1/2 way through a traffic light. She couldnt drive so guess who had to push.

tradertech, Apr 12, 9:11pm
Great way to kill a relationship - so I bet your vehicle isn't let get too low- LOL

planespotterhvn, Apr 13, 6:21am
if you are going to drive around on 1/4 of a tank.

. make sure its the top 1/4!

planespotterhvn, Apr 13, 6:31am
More realistic perhaps, Why risk running out.always keep at least 1/4 of a tankful and before you get there fill the tank up to the brim.record the litres off the GST reciept and write the odometer Kms on the ticket .after the next fill you can work out your fuel consumption.

planespotterhvn, Apr 16, 7:00am
why people feel the need to run the tank to empty is beyond me.especially women on their own.

lookoutas, Apr 16, 10:13pm
A lot of our customers know how far their cars can go.
It's amazing how many are dropped off with the lights on!