When to put a new engine in car

jasongroves, Apr 14, 12:30pm
Why are you worried!
Whats wrong with it!
Why do you think it needs reconditioned!

jasongroves, Apr 14, 12:40pm
I don't see the point in spending several thousand $$$ on a recon when you haven't given a reason for doing so apart from mileage (which isn't high anyway).
Up to you though.

pollymay, Apr 14, 2:47pm
-_- I hate it when people quote miledge like it's the end of a motor. Depends on how many highway miles and how much idling, the service record etc etc etc

If it breaks it breaks, could go 50km's or 50,000kms more. If it's a 5sfe or something like that they go forever, I saw a 3sfe that had done 528,000km and the only reason it was taken off the road is the owner crashed it.

ginga4lyfe, Apr 14, 7:05pm
Just keep up the standard service schedule on the car, and dont worry until something breaks, when something breaks, then look at its cost to repair Vs Car worth, until then, dont assume that the car will break, you will only find reason for it to break when you look for it

saxman99, Apr 14, 7:31pm
228 is not high dude. It should just about be run in nicely by now. Less than 500 before a recon is disappointing for most engines IMO.

plasticboys, Apr 14, 7:47pm
hi my house is 50years old should l replace it lol

wazza114, Apr 14, 8:30pm
like PMSL

intrade, Apr 14, 8:34pm
depends on what your engine is!.lots of engines go past 350,000km thesedays without much problems.

ct9a, Apr 14, 8:43pm
rebuild at 1million kms

mrfxit, Apr 14, 9:29pm
Enjoy it while you can.
Suggest simply saving up the cash now for possible later usage.
Who knows how far it will run for, might get written off/ pinched/ given to da wife/partner/ kids/ granny /gran kids before the motor blows

franc123, Apr 15, 12:31am
If its running nicely, not rattling, leaking, smoking and/or burning oil I wouldn't touch it!If its due for a cambelt and a decent service then by all means do it but over and above that!Money that doesn't need to be spent.

moosie_21, Apr 15, 3:58am
Yerr, what kind of engine is it!

pdc1, Apr 15, 4:15am
the best of toyota - a mighty cavalier

saki, Apr 15, 4:42am
my old girl is 60 should I replace her!

pieman33h, Apr 15, 8:11am
ask yourself - is the engine currently fulfilling its role as an engine! answer yes! its probably ok. do you need me to draw you a flow chart!

johnf_456, Apr 15, 8:35am
+1 As the saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Also re con an engine opens up new problems as well, if its not burning excess oil, smoking, missing , running rough don't worry about it. Just be glad you have a good car OP and keep on enjoying the roads out there.

Unless of course its due for a cambelt or something like that or needs a new clutch etc.

morrisman1, Apr 15, 8:46am
Perhaps try some rentals then decide for yourself

ginga4lyfe, Apr 15, 8:52am
nah mate I wouldnt suggest that, most rentals these days are all stick shift, and have been ridden hard and are falling apart , full of bog and crappy patch paints, I wouldnt be surprised if they all leaked badly too

alimac1, Nov 2, 5:10pm
Aha, time for motor number 6