How much would you pay?. I39ve blown the left turbo on a manual 2000 subaru b4 rsk which set in motion blowing the engine bearin

Page 1 / 2
supermum56, Apr 12, 12:31pm
I've blown the left turbo on a manual 2000 Subaru B4 rsk which set in motion blowing the engine bearing. Of course I know it's going to be expensive.

This happened on a Rd Trip so the car is in another smaller town, at a garage. Does someone out there have a decent idea of how much I'm looking at paying to replace the turbo and do the engine bearing! The cars in a towable condition only and I don't wanna feel like I'm being ripped off because I don't have many options.

Before anyone jumps in and says 'sell it' or shouldn't have brought it- thanks for you opinion but I personally like the car and don't like your opinion.

Any help or a rough idea would be appreciated- thanks guys :)

doomy999, Apr 12, 12:55pm
Sounds like you bought a real dog. you probably shouldnt have bought it in the first place. Why dont you just sell it. ditch the heap and move on.

pollymay, Apr 12, 1:00pm
Depending on if you can get a motor, LOTS. It needs a new motor, fixing a bearing is a full motor removal and teardown or replacement. In a small town if they have you by the balls it'll be over 2k if they use a wrecker motor at wrecker prices. If you have the means to do it yourself then the price of another motor basically.

supermum56, Apr 12, 1:27pm
To be fair, It's in Thames so I do have options- But that's over an hour away. Rather just an inconvenience. I was hoping to get a little change out of $1600- am I dreaming!

The engine's only has 113k on the clock, I'm sure it's my fault for not allowing the turbos cool down properly after drives.

jason18, Apr 12, 6:20pm
I have family in thames and he is an ex mechanic. I will see where he recommends or see if he has friends that are good people in the trade. I know there are alot of stories about but mechanics are usually pretty good people and not all are out to rip you off.

jason18, Apr 12, 6:21pm
And the twin turbos were never that good on the subarus so its probably not your fault. The previous owner could have thrashed it or it just let go.

phillip.weston, Apr 12, 7:46pm
not cooling it down would not have caused that. Even the small drive home after a bit of a thrash is more than enough to 'cool' the turbo down - it is completely unnecessary to leave your car sitting there idling for minutes to 'cool down' the turbo. The cool down process was for the very first turbo vehicles which did not have advanced water cooling or high quality oils which often coked up inside the hot housing when the engine wasn't circulating the oil through. Nowadays just about any oil can do the job.

phillip.weston, Apr 12, 7:47pm
also, how did the turbo manage to kill the engine bearings!

rovercitroen, Apr 12, 7:51pm
Have the car trucked to somewhere you would like it to be repaired.

ct9a, Apr 12, 8:33pm
3-5k
fit a second hand unit with supplied turbo's
cambelt/sparkplugs/coolant/oil-
+ filter/fuel filter and labour

phillip.weston, Apr 12, 8:42pm
if it were me I would just find a good 2nd hand engine for under $1000 and pay a mechanic the approx $300-500 it would to fit the new engine. Then sell it.

intrade, Apr 12, 8:52pm
if you where AA plus member you could have trucked it to anywhere in the country as far as i remember.

ct9a, Apr 12, 9:12pm
+1
try and find a engine under a grand to begin with good luck

carkitter, Apr 12, 9:34pm
Has the damage to the engine bearings been confirmed or assumed! Compression test to check for damaged pistons or rings! Does it make the big-end knocking sound! If not, I would replace/repair the damaged turbo, flush the engine oil, replace the oil filter and drive it back home for a full inspection by your regular mechanic. Easily less than $1600 but no guarantees an expensive rebuild or new engine won't be needed soon.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 12, 9:37pm
Just to clarify, you don't have a misunderstanding of communication here do you! It definitely is an engine bearing AND a Turbo and not the bearings on the Turbo!
I don't deal with Subaru's at all but it seems an odd combination to me and not something I have seen on the Turbo cars I have dealt with. Assuming here the two faults are indeed related.

The only thing I can think of is if the Turbo let go and spat oil everywhere until the oil pressure was low enough to run an engine bearing.

supermum56, Apr 12, 9:39pm
Phillip - I'm not mechanic, hence my posting in this thread. But from what I under stand, the turbo lunched itself- caused oil pressure in the engine to drop and ruined the engine bearing. Could be right, could be wrong.

Yup, the car got towed by AA to Thames. Bloody nice people :)

And of course I know mechanics are decent people, I just wanted an idea of the price so I wouldn't be sitting in the dark with quotes.

Thanks for the help guys!

supermum56, Apr 12, 9:41pm
The big end knocking noise is indeed there :S

paddy1234, Apr 13, 6:14am
why the hell do people buy subarus in the first place!

intrade, Apr 13, 6:15am
why do people buy mitsubishi . it takes the same morons lol.

carkitter, Apr 13, 10:05pm
Okay then that's VERY bad.
Rebuild or replacement engine required - more than $1600 needed. A friend of mine had a WRX engine rebuilt, cost him $3K. That was mostly labour and did not involve any modifying or performance parts.

ginga4lyfe, Apr 13, 11:39pm
whats wrong with just replacing the big end bearings! surely you can do that with out taking the heads off ! mind you, i do not know anything about those boxer engines,

carkitter, Apr 13, 11:56pm
I'm no Subaru expert, but I'd assume the sump isn't easy to remove with the engine in place.

paddy1234, Apr 14, 2:55am
mitsubishi > subaru

noall1, Apr 14, 3:27am
I have just priced a motor replacement job that included s/hand motor, cambelt,
3 bearings and water pump at just over 3K. I had also priced the turbos, primary turbo and the secondary turbo at just over 1K.I had rung around alot ofwreckers to price out the motor but the general comment was that the motors were getting hard to source.

racetoy, Apr 14, 3:45am
well if they are getting hard to find at the wreckers .then that usually shows theres big demand for that item which means that alot of subarus must need replacement motors