VW Golf - thoughts?

willow83, Apr 10, 11:48pm
I've had a browse through old forum posts about VW Golfs.I'm shopped around driving other makes, but my preference is a Golf.

I'm looking at spending 10k and want to know if I should consider a 2000-ish Golf GTi or steer clear and go for a 2.0L version!I'm driving at least 60km a day on the open road in Wellington so want comfort and a bit of pep.

Cheers :-)

vag.central, Apr 11, 12:25am
what ever you do, do not buy an auto. If you want a bit of pep get a gti and get the ecu chiped or reflashed for some more power, the mk4 are a bit underpowered

willow83, Apr 11, 12:29am
Is there a reason for avoiding an auto!I don't have any problems with a manual except being vertically challenged, in certain cars I struggle to reach the clutch without having to hug the steering wheel.I've only driven an auto Golf so might need to test out a manual.

mugenb20b, Apr 11, 12:36am
I got a chance to drive one of these a few weeks ago. I think it was turbo charged as well. I have to say, I was really impressed with the power, handling and comfort. I didn't feel like I was bouncing all over the place, the car felt solid and secure. The gear changes felt smooth and positive. I really enjoyed driving it.

whqqsh, Apr 11, 1:59am
we've got a VR6, mainly to avoid cam belts, but since have found many more benefits, the biggest being wayyy more grunt. have heard to stay away from autos, our manual is fine although very light clutch so a bit hard to tell when its engaging causing bogging or skids during boy racer take offs

trouser, Apr 11, 3:45am
It is such a big bogey monster isn't it! $100-$1000 every five years or so is a horrendous price to pay.

whqqsh, Apr 11, 3:56am
tis if you dont get them done on time (& Ive heard of a few go well before that) & end up with a head full of bent valves

vag.central, Apr 11, 5:25am
Just wait until you have to replace the chain, guides and tensioners

vag.central, Apr 11, 5:27am
The autos dont have a good rep for being relaible

phillip.weston, Apr 11, 6:54am
Just as well that the chains in those VR6 motors are reliable. oh wait.

franc123, Apr 11, 7:09am
Wow 12 posts and nobody's suggested simply going and buying a Corolla and living happily ever after with very few visits to the garage!OK here goes, BUY A COROLLA.(puts helmet and stabproof vest on!)

willow83, Apr 11, 10:49pm
Thanks all.When you say that the auto is unreliable - what are the common issues!Just investigating everything because a manual might not equal driving comfort for me.

vag.central, Apr 11, 11:19pm
Cambelts on vag's v6 only have the one cam pulley on each bank and is incredibly simple to do

thejazzpianoma, Apr 12, 3:15am
willow83, a Manual Golf GTI would be just the ticket. The 1.8 Engine is MUCH better than the 2.0 in the MK4. The 2.0 is a very old style design and does not provide much punch for the fuel it uses.
The 1.8 T on the other hand is economical for the amount of power it produces and is a real cracker little motor.
The GTI MK4 is also a very watered down GTI in that you don't get a real hard sports car ride or any other compromises by going for the sportier version.
You will also find that VW parts are very competitively priced and easily available. Feel free to drop back with some links to those you are looking at for an opinion.

As a side note, I think you will find the GTI O.K for pedal/steering wheel adjustment being vertically challenged. The Manual gearbox in those has an absolutely gorgeous change and resale is always good on the manual as well.

One other Golf that may suit your needs well is the 5 Cylinder V5. Its not as economical as the 1.8T but its not terrible on gas either and is a good solid reliable very low maintenance engine without being too slow like the 2.0. For your kind of running the economy gap won't be very large between the two engines, if you were only running in the city you would notice it though.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 12, 3:17am
One other thing, sometimes the Audi A3 can also be competitively priced and worth keeping an eye on to give you more options. Remember this is mechanically the same car as the Golf so may suit you just as well.
Staying with the 1.8T version in manual this could work out well. Just be aware there are a lot of non-turbo 1.8's around in the A3 format which lack the umph of the turbo version.

willow83, Apr 12, 4:46am
Thanks for all the information! :-)I was looking at an auto (356731250 cambelt done at 103k and next service due 122k), but might need to find a manual to test drive (I'm in Wellington) after your advice.

There was a nice looking red manual GTI advertised on AA Carfair, up in Auckland - http://www.aacarfair.co.nz/Detail/Volkswagen-Golf-Gti-Mk-IV-1999/591227

thejazzpianoma, Apr 12, 4:53am
That aacarfair one looks like a great example willow. Definitely worth following up on in my opinion.

By they way, personally I wouldn't be overly scared of the auto ones so long as it has been maintained properly, dosn't have huge km's and has not been thrashed.

As a car though, I think they are much better in manual and certainly more desirable. Its not that the auto dosn't function well, they were really good for the age group of car . Its just the manual is a nice unit and they are a car that really should be driven properly. Plus as mentioned you get the bit of extra piece of mind and economy.

Also, as a heads up just in case you have not figured it out. A lot of the talk on here of late is regarding the MK5 Golf that starts in 2004. Its out of your price range unfortunately but its important not to get confused. The 2.0 FSI engine in the MK5 is a real cracker and unlike the older 2.0 in the MK4.
Worth knowing so as not to get confused.

willow83, Apr 12, 7:14am
Fantastic, the silver auto has been owned by an older couple so seem to be in relatively good condition.Will explore both options and see what I prefer.

Thanks once again :-)

thejazzpianoma, Apr 12, 7:44am
Just be aware that one appears to have a standard auto as opposed to the 5 speed tiptronic auto which was the better transmission I was thinking of. By all means have a drive but I am pretty sure that one is just a 4 speed auto and is possibly not going to get the best out of that engine.
To be straight up I am not a super expert on what auto's were available at that time but I am pretty sure that one is the older style 4 speed which in my experience was a bit average. It should still be O.K if its been well looked after but I think you could do better.
The giveaway BTW is the cutaway in the selector gate as the better auto is also tiptronic and you will see in the pictures how you can pull the selector towards you to engage tiptronic mode.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 12, 8:42am
Sorry previous post was a bit crap as I was doing a million things at once. Just to clarify, I think the better tiptronic auto appeared in the later MK4 GTI's, not sure the exact year perhaps around 2002 or 2003. From memory there were some other nice features added like steering wheel controls.
Just something to consider.

willow83, Oct 22, 6:06pm
I thought it looked like a standard auto rather than tiptronic.Might hunt around what is for sale and compare the images.Cheers!