Floaties in the radiator

jezz43, Apr 9, 9:04am
went to flush my radiator yesterday, and there was a mixture of coolant and rusty water, i wasnt overly concerned until there were small bits of brown crap floating in the water. upon further inspection its very small lumps of oil. so my question is, how did it get there! and how do i get rid of it! the engine has never had a headgasket done on it and as far as i can tell its never even had the rocker covers off

pollymay, Apr 9, 9:07am
Did you use a funnel that you also use to funnel oil! Also if the car had some old red coolant left and you put green in it, the result is sewage

jezz43, Apr 9, 9:09am
no funnel, i have a seperate bottle for water. the crap was in the radiator as i topped up the water. its definately oil

pollymay, Apr 9, 9:14am
Is it an auto with the cooler a waterjacket type setup on a hardline or integrated in the radiator! They can blow through sometimes and pinhole leak into the water.

Is it continuous or going away! Just keep checking for milkshake oil in the engine and go for a run keeping an eye on gauges.

jezz43, Apr 9, 9:17am
its a VT commy, auto, the crap kept coming out and i couldnt be bothered waiting as i had to drive home to new plymouth from dargaville. engine oil is fine, gearbox oil shows no sign of water (but could use a change)

intrade, Apr 9, 7:05pm
automatic! i would service the auto trans also to make sure no water is in the trans now.

jezz43, Oct 14, 12:47pm
i plan to service it shortly. the gearbox gets a bit hot under load, so i may look at an oil cooler thats not on the bottom of the radiator aswell