Wof advice tyres - please

fordstar1, Apr 8, 4:29am
My car failed a WOF (again) but this time the dude added a whole lot of other stuff on to my previous WOF check. Amongst other pedantic and petty things he said that my tyres are mismatched. My 4 tyres are all 235/45/17's but the mis match is the other number. I have 2x93's 1x94 and 1x97. He said the last numbers are only allowed a variation of 2.
My question is: Is the variation allowance mean 2 btw all four tyres or 2 btw the opposite matching tyre eg RF LF and RR LR.Thanks in advance,

elshaun, Apr 8, 4:36am
These numbers refer to the load indices.The number is only allowed to differ by 2 on the same axle.Hope this helpful

fordstar1, Apr 8, 4:44am
Thanks, so I can keep my 97 because it has a lot of tread on it and put another 97 on the other side to match.

mr40cal, Apr 8, 6:19am
yes you can, If you can't get exactly the same tyre get one that is the same tread type, aswell as within 2 of the opposite tyres speed rating - usually the letter after the load rating (in this case 97) - it will be a W or Z or V etc. . . . . .

fordstar1, Apr 8, 6:25am
Mr40cal, I was wandering that, thanks, I will.

poppajn, Apr 8, 6:30am
Um, if its a recheck, then is,nt he only checking the previous failings!, providing it,s not over 28 day,s

vtecintegra, Apr 8, 7:09am
Well if the car is in an unwarrantable state (due to things missed missed on the first inspection but subsequently noticed) the place is not going to issue a warrant

fordstar1, Apr 8, 7:49am
What happened was on 4/3 they said it needed power steering belt changed, rust problems fixed (mainly sills) and a few other areas, and exhaust leak. So it has been at the panel beaters and mechanics getting everthing done except exhaust leak, because we (mechs, p/b and me) couldn't see that it was leaking.I only just got car back so missed out on 28 days So today 7/4 I paid to put it back through and then, he pointed out more rust (can you believe it), headlight switch (it's missing) but you can still turn lights on (no sweat). Rear brake pipe rusty (not leaking as previously told) they recommend clean and treat, not replacement like last time, hand-brake travel and now mismatched tyres. This is the same testing station virtually one month a part and I have only clocked up about 10km on the speedo since the last check, And checks only a month a part. I must have *sucker* tattooed on my forehead.

vtecintegra, Apr 8, 7:52am
It sounds like they missed things they should have caught in the first inspection tbh

fordstar1, Apr 8, 7:59am
Actually I took it back to the panel beater (straight after wof #2 check) and he looked at the new area they decided to point out.I kid you not, we couldn't see anything except for brown staining, not rust. As for the light switch, its there and works it just doesn't have the flash looking button that usually sits on top.

mattlhancock, Apr 8, 8:01am
Sounds like the WOF place has it in for you mate. Good luck!

fordstar1, Apr 8, 8:10am
Thanks for that, the panel beater couldn't believe it. Neither could I, a bunch of haters at that VTNZ. I heard the receptionist call out to the inspector, and he went 'what'. Then she said 'never mind' as she saw me (still there) fluffing around, looking at the last WOF check and the new one. I think she was going to say something. I could believe a 6 month difference in opinion from one inspector to the next but a 30 day difference in opinion with only 10km on the car from one inspection to another. I'm doomed.

johnf_456, Apr 8, 8:49am
Nothing unusual for vtnz sad to say.

fordcrzy, Apr 8, 9:25am
good luck finding another 97 rated tyre.most in that sizea are 92-95

fordstar1, Apr 8, 9:30am
Bummer.

franc123, Apr 8, 9:55am
Yes I thought that too, seems a high load rating for that tyre size.

fordstar1, Apr 8, 9:58am
This WOF is turning out to be a mortgage coupled with stress.

johnf_456, Apr 8, 10:03am
Life sure is not fair, all the best keep in there you will sort it.

mr40cal, Oct 11, 10:53am
sorry dude, I don't agree
Toyo C1S, PX4, T1R, T1Sport, Teo Plus, Hankook K105, Sunny, Kingstar K106, Falken 329, Yokohama A Drive, Kumho KU27, Kumho KU31, Achillies ATR, Goodyear F1 Asy, Hankook V12 - just to name a few