Suzuki swifts

Page 1 / 2
brokebloke1, Apr 3, 6:45am
who owns one and what are they like,!
I also notice that they come in different engine sizes what size is good for both around town and open road use, looking at one for my partner.

gilligan2, Apr 3, 6:58am
Got one. Theyre good on gas don't handle to badly and are good for a second car to be used about time.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 3, 7:02am
Horrendously overpriced secondhand. So good if you are buying new not good if you are buying secondhand.
As a car, they are O.K but nothing exciting, the manual is quite good but the auto is a bit of a wash out as 4 gears from an 80's style auto is never a great thing when coupled with a little engine.
So in short, as a new car potentially a good value buy and an O.K car. Secondhand, you can do LOTS better for your money or spend half as much and get a car thats just as good from another manufacturer.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 3, 7:08am
You are 100% correct and thats exactly the problem, unfortunately though unlike the Iphone the Swift only looks good and that's where it ends.
Sure its functional and does the job but for the money you should be getting a lot more than just functional.
Classic example of what fashion does to a market.

brokebloke1, Apr 3, 7:16am
we are also looking at the golf but arnt they overpriced also!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 3, 7:23am
Heck no the Golf is incredibly underpriced secondhand in NZ. Assuming here you are looking at around a 2004 or 2005 model.

The two cars don't even compare, its like ones car and ones a Banana.

To put the Suzuki Swift into a fair comparison in terms of an actual vehicle with regard to features and technology a $5000 year 2000 Punto is better.

I am not saying the Suzuki won't do the job, it will. It is reliable transport. But thats all it is in terms of a vehicle (aside from the fancy party dress). If you could pick them up for 6K they would be good buying.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 3, 7:26am
LOL, that would be phenomenal!
But seriously a 2.0 FSI Golf is a fabulous car and is going to be every bit as economical to run (actually better in most situations) than the less powerful Swift.

Just shop around though as the Golf prices have started to move up a bit as people are cottoning on to how good they are.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 3, 7:34am
papariccardo, has she driven the MK5 Golf!
I suspect once she does it will be an easy choice given she liked the Polo. Unless the Polo was a very new one the Golf is just miles ahead. I have always been a bit dissapointed with the Polo's and even comparing the MK4 Golf to the MK5 the the MK5 is just so much better.

berg, Apr 3, 8:11am
We have a 08 Swift Sport and love it to bits. 107,000kms, brakes still over half pad left, tyre replacement at 83,000kms, 6.3ltrs per 100kms fuel usage, 15,000km service intervals, chain drive cams, great handling right off the showroom floor and the kicker, no warranty problems unlike my mates 07 Golf. He finally traded it on a Swift and a Vitara after it was spending half it's life in the workshop getting niggly electrical and mechanical issues sorted.

mottly, Apr 3, 8:38am
wow - I saw a new swift that hit a concrete post.no way would I drive one.

socram, Apr 4, 12:06am
From the memory banks, weren't Swifts involved in even a mild frontal, total write offs!Not an economic repair!

vtecintegra, Apr 4, 12:17am
Overpriced spare parts yeah.You'll find its the same for most modern low value cars though - especially once you've set off an airbag or six

stevo2, Apr 4, 6:24am
I agree completly with you jazz but remember that "overpriced2nd hand" also can be read as "holds its resale value"
Personally I think there are better small cars out there.
Cheers Stevo

thejazzpianoma, Apr 4, 7:12am
Thats exactly why I said great to buy new terrible to buy secondhand. Whatever a cars depreciation tenancies there is almost always a way to capitalise on them.

Luckily those with secondhand ones can breath a sigh of relief that the new model looks so similar, if the shape changed and the style fell from fashion those who had paid a huge premium for a 6 year old one would lose a heap of cash.

Always good to own something that actually has tangible value to match its price tag.

ceedoubleyou, Apr 4, 7:30am
Yep, I remember seeing that piece on TV, the Swift came bottom of the small car list, when it came to repairing a small frontal impact, you practically had to write the car off. From memory the Toyota Corolla was top of the list with the most inexpensive repair.

kevymtnz, Apr 4, 10:18am
rental in oz 18 Litres 300 kms Gosford - Blue Mountains -Syd
found 1st gear i bit high and easy to stall on a hill otherwise pretty impressed
easy to manover in heavy traffic

cocabowla, Apr 4, 10:54am
and most cars that hit concrete posts just drive on do they !

poohy99, Apr 4, 7:10pm
I have an 09 Swift Sport, and it's a brilliant little car and half the price (new) as a Golf.The current 1.4 versions of the Swift are completely new designs from the ground up.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 4, 10:44pm
Thats it in a nutshell, half the price of a new Golf when new (which is why the Golf is a much better car) but a very similar price to a Golf when a few years old.

asue, Apr 4, 11:38pm
Had one - sold it - best move ever.

cocabowla, Apr 5, 1:02am
because its twice the price its therefore quite possibly going to be better.
perhaps the golf is a rare example but most euros drop heaps more in devaluation compared to particularly jap cars.

quick check on here says usedbase swifts are 33% less than new price.
same check saysbase modelgolfs are 41% less than new price.
dollars & sense will win everytime despite your flogging a dead horse.

muzzaandmich, Apr 5, 2:14am
friends have twothey upgrade each yearalways have new car cost them bugger all

tigra, Apr 5, 9:51pm
Find that hard to believe as depreciation first year is a killer virtually no matter what you drive. On the other hand there are tax advantages if its business owned/used.

hotrodtodd1, Apr 6, 1:31am
Women like them.So if you get one for your partner, you will be in her good books for a while.

They are okay in a puddle-jumper kind of way. They do everything a womans small car should do and they do it all very efficiently.The Swift Sport is way noisier, imported new in manual only, but would be a fun drive on the open road. Avoid the 1300cc imports, would be quicker to take the bus.

I dont think my wife has ever taken her Swift out of the city because we have a W8 Volkswagen for longer distance travel.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 6, 2:14am
Its also a shame we don't get any with the Fiat 1.9 Diesel, they would be a real little rocket ship and stupidly cheap to run.

Its a real shame Suzuki NZ just ignore the great diesel options of all their vehicles.