Toyota Altezza Rs200

pollymay, Apr 3, 1:30pm
DON'T. Step away from the pod filter. If you remove the resonance chambers and dick with the intake the MAF gets the airflow over it messed up, you will see/feel a flatspot at 3000rpm or so. There is an intake that works but it isn't just off the shelf stuff, forget the brand. Stick with the stock intake, it's as good as it gets.

They are a laggy engine, dunno why, the car is a modern day AE86 or something anyway. I thought they were fly by wire but saw a cable on the one I used to drive, unless that went to a cruise control box and that was fly by wire. Oh one reason they may lag is they have a HEAVY ass dual mass flywheel. It's huge for a 2 litre, I went to a single mass but it was damnwell near as heavy and I couldn't be bothered machining it. Also if you ever do a clutch the dual mass flywheel has to be replaced generally, it's a pain in the ass.

r15, Apr 3, 7:24pm
they had already given the info in the thread title. the rs200 only comes with the 3sge and there is only 1 generation of altezza. and yes they are weak down low.

out of the 2 litre engines the 6cyl is actually a lot nicer to drive, and generally cheaper to buy too

pollymay, Apr 4, 12:14am
6cylinder is piss weak though, the 3litre uses gas. Throw a 4th gen caldina turbo 3sgte in it /done.

pat56, Apr 4, 12:32am
Apparently the 4cyl Beams has poor low down torque so you have to get it screaming for any acceleration but I guess the BR's don't mind that

vtecintegra, Apr 4, 12:41am
Thats a bit of an exaggeration - it isn't the torquiest of engines but its not as bad as its made out to be either.

At least you get the option - with the 2l six there isn't much torque but there also isn't any real high end power.

alimac1, Apr 4, 7:30am
Don't fit a pod. Better to get a high flow panel filter like Apexi, K&N or suchlike.

r15, Apr 4, 6:58pm
no not really. you need a 3 litre gita and the laggyness will go away

phillip.weston, Apr 4, 7:44pm
they're only gutless down low because the car is about 300-400kgs too heavy for the powerband of the BEAMS - that engine into something about 1000kgs (ie an AE86) really flys!

ct9a, Apr 4, 10:29pm
1 or 2jz solved

richardmayes, Apr 5, 12:07am
Seriously. Toyota spent years and millions of dollars designing the engine in your car. If the only thing holding it back from drastically better performance was a slightly different air filter design, don't you think the car would have come from that factory with such a filter!

clark20, Apr 5, 12:53am
No, they have many things they have to pass, like bugs and water ingestion, noise levels, etc etc. Its the whole package and yes, you can usually improve on what they have.

alimac1, Apr 5, 7:12am

r15, Oct 1, 1:10pm
the altezza is somewhat of an exception to this rule. they have a cold air box design similar to most vehicles, however they also route the intake duct for this in a unrestricted fashion over the top of the radiator and into the nice unheated open air of the front grille.

but yeah in a lot of cases airflow can be improved.
not with just a pod filter in the engine bay by itself though