Are Toyota Altezza's good cars?

zionsouljah, Nov 22, 7:17pm
was looking around at some 2000 + models but don't know much about the motors in them and most have done 100k+ kms and feedback I would be very grateful. Thank you .

daryl14, Nov 22, 8:00pm
Handle well. Last forever. Droney as f**k.

stevy1000, Nov 22, 8:06pm
I've had one for about three year, reliable handles well and reasonable fuel consumption. Mine is a 2001 and has done 140k.

807, Nov 22, 8:27pm
AS model is 6 cylinder, RS model is 4 cylinder. Both 2 litre, rear wheel drive.

ryanm2, Nov 22, 8:54pm
For similar money you may get a later model (>03) Honda Accord.

kazbanz, Nov 22, 9:36pm
IMO--they WERE darn good cars. RWD 2.0l. Direct competition to BMW 320 in my opinion.
Trouble is that in this country they were marketed as boy racer cars.
So most have had a fairly hard life.
If concidering one without hesitation I would encourage getting a full and comprehensive PP inspection.

franc123, Nov 22, 10:12pm
Too expensive for what they are IMO, they are only Toyotas interpretation of what a BMW 3 should be, and doesn't quite hit the target. Performance and economy from the six cylinder engines isn't marvellous, some have been bad oil burners and if you can live with the horrible factory instrumentation setup that looks like it was made by a pinball machine manufacturer then good luck to you. While I don't generally recommend ageing BMW's, why pay the same or more for a so-so copy of something?. As above, checks for mistreatment are essential if you really want one but I'd try a early-mid 2000's 320 or bigger 3 series first, you might find it more satisfying. Plenty of those about that would still be worth buying.

wsnownz, Nov 22, 10:22pm
I had an RS200. 2.0l beams with the 6 speed manual. Paid a bit extra to get a good tidy original example. Had it about 3 months and sold it because I hated it. Average performance, average fuel economy. Make an awful racket too. The handling was bloody sharp but that's about it.

edangus, Nov 22, 10:29pm
Excellent Vehicles

vtecintegra, Nov 22, 10:39pm
While that is true, the 320 was definitely not any better

bigfatmat1, Nov 22, 11:21pm
Old and overpriced.

kazbanz, Nov 22, 11:25pm
Zion--- actually mat in three words has hit it on the head. ^^^^^^^^^^^
Again nice cars if you get a good one but compared to equivalent cars they are too high priced and for the same money you can buy a newer car. Even sticking with Toyota theres better bang for buck.

vtecintegra, Nov 22, 11:39pm
Depends on what you're after. Toyota doesn't make any similar models, everything else is much softer

zionsouljah, Nov 23, 3:33am
Definitely food for thought thank you all very much for your helpful answers

tamarillo, Nov 23, 3:52am
Try mark X maybe. Underneath it is later model Lexus IS running gear so lovely V6 2.5 or more, 6 speed auto, rear wheel drive. Cloaked in different body, less spec but still plenty of most. Not great for big person as at 6'2 I felt hemmed in and couldn't put seat far enough back. But otherwise nice car with Toyota build. No known problems.

kazbanz, Nov 23, 7:09pm
Softer isn't a bad thing though.Not everyone wants their fillings shaken out on the slightest bump. Some of the softer options still handle darn well
0I own the Brevis which was a contemporary to the Altezza. 2.5 or 3.0l with a more comfortable ride.

vtecintegra, Sep 19, 9:16am
That depends on what your priorities are. IMO if you want a couch on whels you may as well just give up and buy a Camry/Maxima/Accord at that point