jono2912, Apr 4, 12:44am
Hey guys,
Thought I better update ya on the work that Pete has done on my van

Pics can be seen here
http://theautocritic.com/petesrustwork

He's done a wicked job (cheers!)

Jono.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 4, 2:30am
Thanks for the pics Jono, I was really hoping that you might post some but didn't want to push the matter ahead of time in case Pete wasn't keen on the idea.

How long roughly did it take him!

Did he cut out the rust using the angle grinder and a thin cutoff wheel or was there some other trick!

I take it from the pics he tacked everything in then went back and did short welds between the tacks!

Sorry about all the questions its a skill I am trying to improve on myself.

BTW, nice job Pete, good to see the ole POR-15 going on under the filler etc.

gunhand, Apr 4, 4:43am
Yes it looks like he has done that, tacked it then welded around it.
as for cutting it out you have a few options.the grinder with cutting disc although not so good for tight areas, cut off tool which is same idea but smaller and air opperarted or a air hack/cut off saw which allows cuts up to a lip or whatever and good for the tight places. all cheap items to buy and very handy.

jono2912, Apr 4, 6:39am
How long roughly did it take him!
He was here Fri evening, not sure how long as I wasn't there then.

Did he cut out the rust using the angle grinder and a thin cutoff wheel or was there some other trick!
Yup

I take it from the pics he tacked everything in then went back and did short welds between the tacks!
Yeah, I'm sure that's what he did. But may pay to confirm.

Yeah, that POR-15 looks quite good, He's even given me some to use, so it'll be good to experiment.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 4, 7:06am
Thanks gunhand and Jono,
I have one of those small air cutoff grinders which I like but its time for a bigger compressor as I have to wait on it sometimes!

I actually find the jigsaw with metal blade my favorite tool for cutting the new steel patches at present. One day when I have spare cash I would love to get one of those little air hacksaw beasties you described, pretty sure I have seen them around.

Its just good to see how others do these things as I have kind of made it up as I go along.I am using the tack then short weld technique for going around my patches which sees to work O.K.

I find any I have to weld upside down a bit of a pig and crank the welder right up and use a half second spot time to do overlapping spots in that situation.

Thanks for the tips, always keen to learn more in this area. Can't wait to be well enough to drive up and bother Unideck for some more advanced tips!

gunhand, Sep 27, 4:16am
Im not sure on the rules now but once just doing short runs with a gap was fine but then i heard you have to do a full weld now. The reason for the gap was if one weld gave way and split up the join there were still others to hold it in place.