HELP, timing marks for a mitsubishi libero 1996

raine06, Mar 24, 5:45am
I have been asked to see if anyone has a photo showing where the timing marks are, TIA 8]

phillip.weston, Mar 24, 5:46am
for which engine.!

raine06, Mar 24, 5:48am
Umm 1600 - auto - petrol.

phillip.weston, Mar 24, 6:00am
SOHC or DOHC!

phillip.weston, Mar 24, 6:08am
never mind, realised the 1600cc only came as SOHC.

timing marks are shown in this pic - http://i56.tinypic.com/2vl7bpy.jpg

raine06, Mar 24, 6:10am
Thank you very much Philip! :D

raine06, Mar 26, 4:55am
Hiya, some more help please, the parts were all installed and timing is done correctly, but apparently the car won't fire over.

phillip.weston, Mar 26, 5:06am
does the ECU throw up a check engine light while it's cranking over and not firing!

johnf_456, Mar 26, 5:09am
Define fire over, no spark!

raine06, Mar 26, 5:12am
From what I've been told it wants to start.

Apparently the spark plugs are fine.

Sorry I do not know anything about cars, I am just posting on behalf :)

raine06, Mar 26, 5:13am
I am unsure, I will ask him and if he didn't check, I will get him to :)

raine06, Mar 26, 5:18am
Ok, so while he is trying start it up, the check engine light starts flashing.

phillip.weston, Mar 26, 5:49am
ok great - that means the ECU has detected something is wrong. Have you got access to an analogue style multimeter, a 12V low-power buzzer or even an LED with an appropriate resistor to work with a 12V source! if so you can then check the trouble codes from the ECU by connecting to the diagnostic socket next to the interior fuse box.

raine06, Mar 26, 9:58pm
Thank you very much for that Philip, he will be going out to purchase what you have mentioned :)

Have a great day! 8]

raine06, Mar 27, 12:11am
Hiya, SORRY another question :\

When he starts it the A/T TEMP light comes/stays on, will this stop the car from starting.

EDIT: The transmission is fine (or so I am told)

raine06, Mar 27, 10:08pm
Bump 8]

phillip.weston, Mar 28, 2:20am
it shouldn't do. I think the A/T temp light comes on when ignition is on and turns off when the engine runs. Kind of like a self check. e-mail me phil <at> philsparts dot co dot nz and I will send you through a PDF on how to check the diagnostic trouble codes. I had the same issue with the '92 Mirage I have listed currently, the crank sensor was faulty and it was throwing error 23 when the code was checked, which quickly allowed me to pinpoint the fault and after a replacement sensor it worked. I'm guessing that the cambelt has been done and the timing gear has been removed, that perhaps the crank sensor (if it has one) on the crankshaft has been damaged.

raine06, Mar 28, 4:36am
Hiya Phil, thanks very much for the help!

Message sent, thank you so much for the help! Have an awesome evening :D

raine06, Mar 29, 5:32am
Well my partner did the diagnostic and its telling him CKP and CMP failure, how would he go about fixing it, my Uncle will be able to help him when he gets back into town, but if its something Dp can do by himself then he will give it a go :)

phillip.weston, Mar 29, 7:00am
if it's the SOHC engine, it should have a distributor which contains the cam sensor, and I think it may still have a seperate sensor on the oil pump housing too. I would check that all the connections are plugged into the distributor, and if that fails try finding another good distributor to swap over to eliminate the distributor possibly being at fault. The distributor houses the position sensor(s) as well as the ignition transistor module, often the module gives trouble but you usually get intermittent running - ie it will start up and run but stop after a few seconds/minutes.

If it's not the distributor, I would definitely check the crank trigger sensor - it is easy to damage - all it takes is the crankshaft pulley not on and tightened up when the crank sprocket rotates and slides along the crankshaft where the trigger wheel can make contact with the sensor damaging it.

raine06, Sep 8, 11:02am
Thank you again Philip, I will show Dp your post as I have no idea about cars :)

Have a good night & thanks once again! 8]