1995 Mitsubishi Diamante

sarahb5, Oct 3, 12:31am
We're having exactly the same issues with our 1997 Diamante V6 wagon - has driven brilliantly for the last 3+ years then suddenly on Friday 2 hours from home it does this.Has been in the garage ever since - diagnostics said computer - not that, then air flow meter - not that, even the "expert" from the Mitzi dealership doesn't know .Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue with yours OP!

treachug, Oct 3, 6:21am
Yep, ignition coil was the issue.
The coil in my one was inbuilt into the distributor. Weird setup - apparently a few of the 2.5 V6 models had this setup. I tried everything.airflow meter, throttle body.nearly drove me nuts lol.
The coil sits underneath the ignition module which plugs onto the coil & both fit under the cap. The coil has a long shaft sticking up from it which is the contact for the cap etc. Took approx from late november to early april for it to arrive from overseas (I do have access to another new coil as 2 were bought in at same time). Reassembled it all up, refitted distributor, turned key & car fired up & ran perfectly.

sarahb5, Oct 3, 9:06am
Thanks for that - have taken a note of all the possibilities mentioned in this thread and will run through them with the garage tomorrow and see if any of them give us a result!

sarahb5, Oct 4, 4:02am
Stupid question - where did you get it from and how did you know it would fit!(OK - I'm blonde .)

sarahb5, Oct 4, 5:47am
That's great - thanks for the help - and yes I think the issues you had sound exactly the same as we're having with ours.Garage thought it was the computer, then the air flow meter, diagnostic analysis didn't help so will see if an auto electrician can either confirm or eliminate the ignition coil as the issue.

treachug, Oct 25, 10:23am
Hi all, I have a mighty fine diamante V6 in the garage.ex police impound special. Problem with engine/electrics.starts good, idles good but as soon as put into drive & press accel pedal, engine misses like its being governed & is undriveable. F31 model, 6G73 2.5 V6. Have replaced plugs, dist cap, rotor, leads (all new). Tried another air flow meter tonight but still no luck. Can rev engine while in park & will rev but if throttle suddenly opened wide thing dies like sucking too much air & goes flat. Apparently it used to go ok - previous owner was doing 140km/h + in 80km/h area while disq & no wof & no reg.lol. Possibly ECU issue! Any ideas appreciated.

jasongroves, Oct 25, 10:25am
Any engine light on the dash!
Checked for error codes!

treachug, Oct 25, 10:26am
Done that - no error codes at all, no engine light on.

crzyhrse, Oct 25, 10:28am
It was going OK 6 weeks ago!

treachug, Oct 25, 10:32am
It sat around a bit longer than that.promised to pay etc & then couldnt work out why winz wouldnt pay for the storage - pays to contact them & get it organised doesnt it! They just dont do it without knowing about it.lol

treachug, Oct 26, 5:23am
bumping for any ideas.

cuda.340, Oct 26, 5:36am
have you checked the exhaust sensor!

crzyhrse, Oct 26, 5:52am
If there's no stored or current faults you have to start looking at mechanical. Check for a vacuum leak.

lyonruge, Oct 26, 6:23am
reinitialise

treachug, Oct 26, 6:46am
Was thinking maybe manifold gasket today.so yeah maybe go looking there. Out with the carb clean or engine start I think.

NZTools, Oct 26, 7:52am
Check the intake pipe from the air cleaner to the throttle body. I bet it is cracked, and as soon as you put it in gear, or give the throttle a squirt, the engine rocks back,the crack opens up and kills the engine

sarahb5, Nov 9, 8:30pm
Ours is all fixed now - it was the "super computer" but it has taken about 6 different parts trials to get the exact one - apparently Diamantes are quite particular about which computer they will run on, has to be spot on or nothing works.

treachug, Nov 14, 6:47am
Hi all, bumping up my old thread for any new ideas. The car starts & idles smooth - but as soon as its put into drive or reverse & accel pedal even lightly pressed & revs go up over say 1100rpm, it cuts out & misses or like a govenor kicking in - mssing like its on 3 cyl. Have checked air intake tube, all ok, sprayed around intake gasket, no change, located ECU & no immediate signs of anything leaking, pulled throttle body apart & cleaned. Have had a suggestion as to look at ignition coil breaking down under load. A possibility! The old cap & rotor were stuffed - no metal springy contact on rotor & no centre electrode in cap & what looked like burning in centre but I assumed was just from cap & rotor not contacting properly.

phillip.weston, Nov 14, 6:54am
I would say it's the rotor and cap - the spark may be just good enough for idle but as soon as load is put on then the spark breaks down. It could also be the air flow meter, but they don't often go wrong.

treachug, Nov 14, 6:57am
Tried another air flow meter - no difference. Have replaced cap & rotor & leads & plugs but issue still there. Really got me beat.

fordcrzy, Nov 14, 6:59am
you have a bad ground on the engine to chassis .re do the engine grounds and the battery connections.then replace the coil. bad grounds cause the coil voltage to skyrocket which blows the coil insulation and stuffs leads/rotors etc.

treachug, Feb 29, 11:00pm
Ok, taaaa. Will go have a check of earths now. Does anyone know if these are slotted dizzy drives or gear drive! Coil is built into dizzy so have to remove that etc