Toyota hiace 1998 No Electricity at ignition HELP

shelleyford, Mar 25, 3:26am
100m from home and the van stutters then stutters again then all the dash lights go out, the power steering disappears and I roll it into the drive. Could be worse.
Battery has power (13.30V) but a little arc weld spot from the top of the butterfly nut on the positive terminal to the metal bracket on the battery box lid, could be a clue. Checked all the obvious fuses and all had conductivity tone. I once had a ford econovan that had a set of fuseable link heavy style fuses tucked away as well as the fuse box. Is it possible I have cooked a big fuse somewhere I have not found yet.

Recently did a 1500 Km trip to ak from nelson and on route had to rebuild the alternator. Auto electrical guy said he did the best he could with what he had and that it would survive the trip which it did but now this.

Any help and questions appreciated.

tmenz, Mar 25, 5:06am
I take it that you now have no power anywhere! If so then it is fairly fundamental and won't be any of the usual fuses. It is more likely to be a faulty battery connection - at the terminals - or the negative ground lead has come adrift from the chassis - or similar.
However, if the vehicle was running at the time and the alternator was working then even a loose battery lead shouldn't have killed it - the alternator should have supplied power until the engine was stopped! Did you have all headlights etc. on at the time
Some Hiaces have a BIG fuse in a plastic case strapped directly to the positive battery terminal - I'm not sure how much that fuse protects - probably everthing apart from the starter lead! However, if that's blown you have a big issue somewhere.
If your positive clamp nut has shorted to the metal bracket as you say then it will have quickly found any weak points in the terminal clamps and/or earth strap. Such a short may have been detrimental to the alternator as well.

shelleyford, Mar 25, 5:20am
x1
Found a 60amp battery fuse under the back of the engine bay above the transmission. Totally cooked. Got to supercheap auto at 529 and they were closed doors shut lights off no one home. supposed to close at 530 Barstards.

new fuse tomorrow and then we will see whats up

thanks for your reply

intrade, Mar 25, 6:17am
60 amp fuse blowen means you got a serious short .you better find the short befor you pop the next fuse.

intrade, Mar 25, 6:19am
ps is it petrol or diesel! because if it is a diesel and has no ecu for the engine or the trans then you can just have 1 wire to injector pump direct to battery for emergancy driving.

intrade, Aug 24, 12:08am
lighter fuse will also do to pop as when there is no short the öighter fuse will only pop after longer period of heavy load going thru it.