Van RPM

jono2912, Mar 25, 3:18am
Hey guys, is there anyway to drop the revs in 5th gear for a 91 liteace (1800) manual, so it doesn't slurp when driving at 110 (yeah yeah) on the highway when doing long trips!

I somewhat remember a thread on here about a diesel L300 with a flywheel or something.!

What's the go! Or no go.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 25, 3:27am
Dropping the revs may not help. You are pushing a big un-aerodynamic brick through the air, which generally means that you will pay in fuel for that extra 10km/h no matter what you do.
Quite a different story with a sleek car.

How many revs is it doing at 110km/h!

jono2912, Mar 25, 3:53am
Hey, atleast I I'm not asking about tire sizes.

Still doing mantainence (new van, so still changing fluids etc) I'll see how much difference it makes.

jono2912, Mar 25, 3:54am
Somehow you always manage to make sense. Revs. Exactly. I don't know, sits around 3000-3500

thejazzpianoma, Aug 23, 5:57pm
Thanks! Sometimes I wonder whether the things I say only work in my mind judging by the reactions I get!

Like Rob_Man says commercial vehicles are often lower geared to account for some load, however even if your van is empty there is considerable drag at play at 110km/h.I think its fair to say considerably more drag than Toyota was envisioning for typical cruising at a slightly lower speed. So it may just wind up evening itself out. Drag is funny in that it compounds upon itself, as in there is very little difference between 10km/h and 20km/h but quite a lot between 100km/h and 110km/h.

If you were going to go to the trouble of making alterations I would suggest doing the math on your motor, the drag co-efficient of the vehicle etc. BTW there are some surprisingly easy and quite accurate ways of calculating the drag co-efficient of your vehicle. In short it involves putting your car into neutral at a set speed on a flat road on a windless day and timing how long it takes to slow down a set amount.

Its all very interesting stuff. Just remember if researching that the drag coefficient is only part of the equation of drag, you multiply it by the frontal area of your car. Thats why small cars and large cars often have the same drag co-efficient.

In short though, as much as many will cringe at my saying it yet again. it may make more sense just to buy a Multipla.

Best of luck with it all!