2003 L300 turbo diesel

janine103, Mar 23, 10:55pm
Hi can I please have thoughts and opinions on this vehicle! What are they like to drive.are they gutless,,any problems with them.will be used for travelling around the north island. Thanks

aredwood, Mar 24, 6:09am
They are cheaply made and don't seem very reliable, Got 2 at my work, 1 blew the headgasket and cracked the head at 77K and the wipers on the other one went to 1/2 way and then the fuse blew, the boss installed a new fuse tried the rear wiper it went to 1/2 way and then the fuse blew again. and the 1 I drive (which is the non turbo one) the door locks broke at about 50k. Was only using the original key not a copied one and phoned mitsi with the key code to check I had the correct key. They said it was. Had to install an alarm after it got to the stage where the sliding door was the only one I could open with the key. They only do a bit over 300Km to a tank of diesel But the turbo ones go all good. The non turbo ones are completely gutless, Struggle to maintain the speed limit up the Auckland harbor bridge. Handling is not that great, and in the wet you need to leave a very big following distance as the back tends to lock up under braking.

janine103, Mar 24, 6:34am
thankyou for that! That helps me a lot cheers

fordcrzy, Mar 24, 6:42am
the turbo diesels are light years ahead of the non turbo ones.DO NOT get suckered into a non turbo one. the only real issue i had with the turbo diesel is that it seemed to cook its fluid out of the battery all the time. make sure you check the battery fluid once a month.

coolieo, Mar 24, 7:12am
i have a 2004 l300 2.5 turbo diesel and it runs sweet. i do about 600 to 650 kms per tank of fuel which is great.its done around 130000 kms
i think they do pretty well and the turbo comes handy on the hills with load.
some have bad experiences with them but nothing happened to me until now.

janine103, Mar 24, 7:39am
great thanx guys,,Looking at hiaces and L300s, the hiaces are soo expensive to buy though. We have an L300 but its only a 2.0 so its got zero grunt lol. Goes really well but its a bit too small

henderson_guy, Mar 24, 8:59am
Guy i know has one that has been to hell and gone, i think its around 2002, over 300,000kms, towing everyday over a tonne, mainly short around town trips. has cracked a head, but only because he was driving for an extended period at 140Km. Good vans IMO

r15, Mar 24, 9:29am
do you realize the hiace and the l300 are 2 totally different sized vehicles!

hiaces are much larger than the mitsi van.but also overpriced. the mitsi i reckon is more comfortable than the pre 05 hiace

janine103, Aug 22, 6:42am
yep I realise the hiaces are bigger.we want to carry motorbikes around and the mitsi we have now has plenty of room in it for the bikes and gear.we are only looking at the lwb mitsis. We like driving the van its comfy and has leg room its just way underpowered for us being a 2.0. And its getting old its a 1990 so its done its dash!