Any transmission heads here?

pollymay, Mar 23, 10:48am
Got ahold of a toyota windom cheap. Slipping trans and was taking a while to engage gear but all good I had a rebuilt spare transmission from a 92. Problem is this 96 uses a different valve body and electrics, I would of put the valve body on the other trans as it's near identical but there was one hole different which I could see so flagged that. The good one I have is an A540E and the slipping one an A541E. Anyone know if the main gearset/sungears etc is the same! Looks identical so far. The clutch friction disks have the same partnumber to so I could just swap them in maybe, what am I looking for as far as bad friction disks go! Do they just go hard as stale biscuits, wear the face off, look any different to a good disk in any way! I've had manual clutches that look perfect and slip like mad. There was some blue on some of the metal disks between the friction disks on the first set on the input inside the sun gear.

Manuals make sense, this ECT automatic business makes me believe automatics operate via a wizard standing inside casting spells. It has a horrid burnt smell to it so I'm sure there are slipping clutches and it got this way cause it was run low on fluid, was getting worse till it now won't move and magic smoke came out of it. It would slip and go slow but if you feathered it you could feel a point where it would "bite" and accelerate again but too much right foot and it'd break that bite and start slowing again, first it would haul but hit second and instant bad slip. I'm sure that sounds like a clutch not a torque converter or something specially with the smell just there isn't like a really obviously scored metal plate from the clutch disks or anything, stupid autotragic.

intrade, Mar 23, 8:22pm
ring a automatic transmission rebuild place. I get info from my local one advanced automatics whangarei. auckland has loads of rebuild places also.

dunbar01, Mar 24, 3:17am
That is the most common problem with Windoms is their rubbish transmissions. All the best buddy, to buy these cars is cheap, to keep them, not so cheap.

phillip.weston, Mar 24, 3:24am
add rubbish head gaskets to the list too.

pollymay, Aug 21, 4:56pm
Hey hey I drive a windom daily and have a3vz mr2. I rax the shiz out of my tranny and don't have an issue, I tow stupid big loads just people treat these cars like crap kinda like I do. They are so cheap anyway that I don't give a toss

Anyway I found the issue, pulled it down and in the final drive clutch packs were shagged, so bad a couple had fused together and the plates had distorted from the heat which made them hard to get out, at least it was obvious although I almost fell over backwards when I pulled it out from the smell, terrible. The earlier windom transmission was revised and the internals updated, they have bigger clutch packs in the centre but retain the same final drive clutches and brake band. I mixed and matched and have built frankenmission which for the most part has new stuff throughout. Different sun gear, solenoids, plugs, different tracks for where the valve body bolts to but only very slightly so to answer my original question they really aren't the same transmission at all really

I'm just hoping it works after doing that. Today I learned why I hate rebuilding automatic transmissions, every one I've touched has been a pain.