TOM TOM GPS

Page 2 / 2
wron, Mar 18, 4:34am
Hi dunbar,
I connected my unit to our pc and jsut as you said it automatically took me through to the tomtom site, it wanted my email and password then started to download an update - about 5m. The proof as they say will be in the eating/ driving! Meanwhile I'll check the machine to see if "Simon" is preinstalled. Do you know how to load the NZ voice - a guy won a nationwide competition just before Christmas and got himself a nice car as part of his prize. I presume he had to sit down and head 100s (1000s) of Maori names into a microphone. Also I'm wondering if it's free!

russ18, Mar 18, 4:38am
Don't know about others but most of my destinations are within my own city and suburbs, a simple list of matching streets starting with the closest one would work perfectly.

wron, Mar 18, 4:53am
Hey chito, no simon preinstalled on the go live 1000, but the are 9 English ones to choose from plus heaps of other languages.

socram, Mar 18, 7:38am
#26.Correct - in NZ.

What most people seem to be unaware of is that the NZ Post Code system is total rubbish.Used a TomTom in the UK and all you had to do was type in the post code, which is specific to a block of about three to six properties.Brilliant.

Simple understanding of code systemsmeans that there is little typing to get where you want - anywhere in the country and it is just about foolproof.So NG3 5QX for example will take you to NG = Nottingham, district 3 of probably less than 20 for the country's sixth largest city.

5QX will take you that specific block of houses.Easy as.

For some reason, NZ Post seems to think that 0726 for example, is sufficient as a post code. It isn't.

So, the various sat nav systems here need a lot more typing and a higher possibiity of getting it totally wrong - and that applies to all of them.

chito, Mar 18, 7:39am
You have to choose a computer voice if you want it to pronounce street names.
Are all the voices computer voices on the go live 1000.
A good site to check out is ipmart.forum.

wron, Mar 21, 9:12am
For Dunbar, After the down load I went on a trip to Whangarei and the "sasperilla gibberish" has gone!n Now says SH1 and State Highway 1 - wonderful! Still clicks the Maori words though.

dunbar01, Mar 21, 12:30pm
@ wron, yeah you're right. Also, mine has gone from saying rotta table, too roundabout. Oh the small things that make ya happy I tell ya. lol

footplate1, Mar 22, 12:00am
You can add me to the list of "formerly happy with Tomtom but am now PO'd" group.
Hooked in for a map update.No sweat!And then received advice to download a software update.Which did.Big mistake!The PC no longer recognises my unit and deleted much of my stored data.One solution is to download the software again.But no, there is a .dll file failure.Then I try to uninstall.Not as as straightforward as other uninstalls.And the PC still thinks it is installed - so there must be hidden files.I am so &^*&*)&(* angry with Tomtom - if it aint broke, why fix it!Their software upgrade has been a disaster!

matthew111, Mar 22, 3:50am
they are excellent.

footplate1, Mar 22, 9:39am
But the latest software up-grade is lousy!My system has been corrupted!

dunbar01, Aug 15, 5:14pm
Have you been able to file the problem off to TomTom!