Page 1 / 2
sin01, Mar 15, 8:39am
For those buying aGPShave a lookatthe griefmy brother had

jezz43, Mar 15, 8:45am
cool story bro

sgrants, Mar 15, 9:03am
! where !

dunbar01, Mar 15, 9:15pm
I have a Tom Tom 1000 Live. Got to admit that sometimes it does my head in when trying to find address. example, I was looking for an address on Scenic Drive, West Auckland. Only I had never heard of Scenic Drive East before. Grrrr

intrade, Mar 15, 9:21pm
i found that all gps have similar problems dunbar01 . for example you cant search auckland you have to search "northshore- road" east and west auckland all the same it is the district you need. I went up kaitaia and 500 meter outsidetown it would not find the road i wanted to goas you needthe urban district .

cantab1971, Mar 15, 9:24pm
i like my TOMTOM GO 750.for a left-field reason.its the best bluetooth phone solution for hands free that i found (and i messed around with lots of options).awesome sound quality,
why would you search "auckland" for a street by the way! that would be like searching "los angeles". once you get used to the idea that TomTom uses the term "city" for suburbs you'll get the hang of it.

dunbar01, Mar 15, 9:28pm
I've also found that streets that have names, come up as "Unnamed Street" on the screen.lol

wron, Mar 16, 5:48am
Hi dunbar, can you make out the sasperilla gibberish it sayson main highways! I can't! I bought mine (same as yours) just before Christmas and registered for the 4 free map updates but haven't heard a thing yet. How about you! Also the live traffic - occasionally mine seems to vanish but a reset - hold the button down for about 15sec till you hear the drums - brings it back.

dunbar01, Mar 16, 8:50am
Hi wron, yeah that gibberish I beleive is what they call Highways in Aussie. It says it so fast I can't work it out. I have mine set to Sirrena UK, she reads all the street names (That are English) and makes a clicking noise on the Maori Names.lol
Their map service and correspondance is shocking I too have not heard anything, but I update mine via my laptop. My Live Service didn't kick in until a few weeks ago, "After" I did the reset thing.
I brought mine and my wifes one at the same time as you (Both of ours are 1000 Live).
Drawbacks I find with it is that you can't use the end of a pen or pencil to entre in the names and stuff. My fingers are too stubby. lol But I do like the display size and handsfree. But their are quite a few things that they can improve on.

dunbar01, Mar 16, 8:53am
Oh and I brought them because my wife said, The Consumer mag rated Tom Tom the best of all GPS. Dunno how they came up with that one. lol
To be honest, I wish I had come on here at posted in the Messageboards for feedback.

wron, Mar 16, 9:35am
Yes I agree about it making Maori names into a clicking sound! I use the same voice as you and she can pronounce quite complex English names but is absolutely hopeless at even very simple Maori names, even those which you would think were logical. I down loaded the entire manual which was ahelpful when I started but it's like 80 pages long - maybe a bit less - haven't looked at it for a while. Anyway I am looking forward to the update as it doesn't seem to know about the newish extension to the motorway from Sandringham Rd past the airport and rejoining the Sthern motorway at Manukau. I registered, printed off the form as I don't have a scanner and posted it off in late Dec. Nothing back yet and as updates are 4x / year I reckon I should have had some contact from them. Used it last weekend on a trip to and round Tauranga and it was spot on.

wron, Mar 16, 9:38am
By the way I live up in the Waitakere Ranges above Henderson (Scenic Dr / Mountain Rd territory) and it tells me we live on an unsealed rd - true 10 - 15years ago! My daughter's Navman says the same.

dunbar01, Mar 16, 10:51am
I've beeb thinking about downloading a NZ voice, and see if they can say the Maori names. I just haven't had the time to look into it. If I do, I'll let ya know how it goes.
I've had 4 updates, but I don't know if that's for software or maps.
But we did the same as you and posted our forms off, my wife got a reply, but I haven't yet. I was thinking that the delay maybe because of the Christmas post, but after 3 months, it's a joke.

russ18, Mar 16, 6:43pm
Clicking sound! are you using a Swahili voice ;-) I thought it did the Maori names quite well - not perfect but pretty good, never heard clicking.
Switched off the highway numbers because she pronounced them as a big long word that kind of sounded Swedish.

footplate1, Mar 16, 7:37pm
Mostly happy with my Tomtom One.Though, as with WISES, slow by many months to load new streets.I have my voice commands as air traffic control - it's a hoot!

pandai, Mar 16, 9:19pm
I have a TomTom XL340 and I think it's excellent.Definitely wasn't a bad choice.

wron, Mar 17, 4:52am
Hi Russ, no, any Maori names sound like a click, just says the 1st syllable, but most English ones are very recognisable. Which voice are you using - I'd like to try him or her!
Dunbar, did your wife get an email reply or a letter!

dunbar01, Mar 17, 5:14am
wron, yes she recieved an email with a code number on it, the code number was linked to her Tom Tom serial number.

wron, Mar 17, 5:44am
From NZ PC website March 15 2011 "The Go Live 1000 had one annoying glitch around the spoken street names functionality. Whenever it had to deal with a State Highway, it would mutter some unintelligible nonsense; along the lines of ???follow something-something-something--
something State Highway Two for three kilometers???. On a long trip, this is hugely frustrating and it isn??

chito, Mar 17, 5:56am
My Go720 says Maori names pretty damn good. I think I have Simon. The hands free is great, the MP3 to FM is great. I have loaded different navcores, so I can talk to it. Do a search on the internet for different applications.

russ18, Mar 17, 7:27am
I've got a GO750, on the box it also has "New Zealand" - may make a difference for Maori names!, using the British sounding female computer voice. Just wish it had auto power-on.

kcf, Mar 18, 12:39am
I have similar issues with my tomtom, because I head to obscure parts of countryside for motorsport events.Being unable to search for things in the Wairarapa is just freaking awesome.You have to know the obscure as hell specific area name, before you can then search for the street name.

Spectacularly useless, when say for example you are looking for one of about three roads in a "place" called something like Ihuraua . the sum total of this "place" being a hand painted sign in a paddock.My solution for dealing with this, is to google search everywhere obscure first, find from google maps what the "place" is called and then send tomtom looking for it.

My only other GPS experience was a navman in Sydney.It was superb because you could just simply start typing the name of a street, and then select from the available options.

Other than that the functionality between the two devices seems much of a muchness.

dunbar01, Mar 18, 2:14am
Funny you shouldm say that, cause sometimes when it sez part of the name with a click in it. Does sound like an Africain Name. lol

dunbar01, Mar 18, 2:16am
Wron, I got a free Map Update today. I just connected my Tom Tom to my laptop and it told me I had a new Map Update waiting. I updated both GPS's. Maybe they just send them to you when they're ready purhaps!

therafter1, Mar 18, 2:28am
The other option of course is to have a road map in the car, they can be of immense assistance, you are after all using the device to navigate you to a location that you are not familiar with !

The ruddy things don??