Rust is BA XR6 Falcon

Page 2 / 2
robbo36, Feb 9, 8:48am
Most of this model with the colour "Shockwave Blue" had to be resprayed due to the paint flaking off from poor preparation at the factory. Could be that moisture had got between the bare body and the undercoat prior to the respray!

magicmat, Feb 9, 8:59am
I am a Holden lover myself, but I am not a loyal fanboy and I quite like those Fords. Its not a bad price for the amount of car you could get though I would want to check just how bad that cancer really is.

richardmayes, Feb 9, 9:03am
Well spotted - I looked thru the photos about 4 times before I saw the roscket launchers in pic 3/11.

But it would have to have been a HELL OF A LONG WAY into the saltwater for that to cause rust under the rear windscreen!!!

This just looks like really really poor manufacturing standards. NZ-assembled British cars of the 1960s and 70s go in exactly the same places. It's sad, BA XR6s were really nice new.

ceedoubleyou, Feb 9, 9:28am
So how is it, that a 2003 Jap Import, don't have them rust problems!

gunhand, Feb 10, 4:33am
Cause we are talking fords not jap imports, the japs probably build a better product, well do actually.

vtecintegra, Feb 10, 5:38am
I'm sure sitting in a carpark beside the ocean regularly wouldn't help any even if the car had never got a dunking.

ema1, Feb 11, 5:41am
That rust would almost be a WOF fail in pic #9 there, plus as others have said there could be a lot more lurking in that cars body!
I'd be very wary of that car to buy, the only good bits would most likely be mechanical.

paul861, Feb 11, 6:21am
now you've told everyone, i'm never going to be able to sell mine

vjregal770, Feb 11, 7:12am
AU/BA/BF Falcons seem to have a real problem with rust. I've also seen them rot down the A-pillar where moisture I guess gets trapped in the rubber door seal there.

robbo36, Feb 11, 7:35am
Sorry dude. Got to be informed ya know. Look at it this way, not everyone reads this message board.

outbidyou2, Feb 11, 8:29am
I'm lucky I guess so far, recently bought AuII Falcon and had my mechanic check over it, all was well esp rust wise apart from one side near the hinge in the boothas started to rust (surface) It amazes me that they dont rust protect under these cars presumably because of dry conditions in Aus. Heck the Japanese have been rust proofing for decades!

outbidyou2, Feb 11, 8:34am
Just out of curiosity how much to fix this roughly, are we talking $500 or more like $1000, cheers

unbeatabull, Feb 11, 9:08am
For the job done properly, will be over $1000. The time it takes to remove and refit rear window, paint/metal stripped, all the boot linings etc removed, seams re-welded & sealed correctly and painted, it adds up pretty quick, then theres labour to add on top of that.

snj11, Feb 11, 7:42pm
thaks for all the advise guys, Think its too risky for me as im in chch and would be buying sight unseen, will stay on the hunt

narla6, Feb 16, 9:30am
id say a boat launched the car lol were will it bubble up next

zephyrheaven, Feb 16, 6:03pm
Strange most of the rusty ones Ive seen are that exact colour - maybe some cheeky apprentice added some acid to the blue that day lol

vjregal770, Feb 16, 6:28pm
The NZ assembly "industry" only existed at all due to government handouts and artificial propping up which cost the average NZer dearly.

Do you really want to go back to the dark old days of 2 year old cars costing more than their new list list price, having to have overseas funds, no finance options (well, 50% down minimum and the rest in 12 months!) 25% interest rates and dealer having you by the balls! Anyone who was laive in NZ up to the 1980s will remmeber the death-traps folks had to keep on the road beacuse of all that Soviet-esque nonsense.

vjregal770, Feb 16, 6:28pm
The NZ assembly "industry" only existed at all due to government handouts and artificial propping up which cost the average NZer dearly.

Do you really want to go back to the dark old days of 2 year old cars costing more than their new list price, having to have overseas funds, no finance options (well, 50% down minimum and the rest in 12 months!), 25% interest rates and dealers having you by the balls! Anyone who was alive in NZ up to the 1980s will remember the death-traps folks had to keep on the road beacuse of all that Soviet-esque nonsense.

lusty9, Feb 17, 5:20am
pfft nothing wrong with that rust spot, my brother sees it alot on late model cars he's a spray painter by trade. Couple a hundee and it should be sweet.

gman35, Feb 17, 8:54am
No , I agree with all you are saying , it is just a shame that the Aus. manufacturing (or NZ car assembly) was / is never able to stand on it's own 2 feet , but many other industries have also sadly gone the same way (bicycle , Appliance etc). It would just be great to again know that we BUILT what we use rather than simply selling & servicing.