2002 ford XR6 travelling 80k and above put foot on

chrissysmith, Feb 9, 11:57pm
breaks to reduce speed and steering wheel starts shaking any idea what could be wrong and is this a major to be repaired.Cheers.

jerichord, Feb 10, 12:00am
sounds like your front disc rotors are warped, not a biggy, get them skimmed, about $200 all up max.

chrissysmith, Feb 10, 12:03am
Thanks for advice jerichord.

jason18, Feb 10, 12:07am
Price up new ones. Ford ones aren't exactly thick to start with. Its a very common problem. I!would think that skimming them would make it more likely to do it again. New rotors usually aren't threat pricey.I can probably price it through my mate at bnt.

inkapuka, Feb 10, 12:30am
or abs working!

chrissysmith, Feb 10, 12:35am
Thanks for advice Jason should be all good I will look at costs in getting new and skimmed. Cheers

mram, Feb 10, 12:36am
Don't bother skimming the front discs, did mine at 52K skimmed oringinal discs($80) but only lasted another 15k before it was just as bad. BNT did no frills brembo's for well under $400 with new pads, good as now

mopsy3, Feb 10, 1:11am
Why would you put Brembos on a 2002 BA XR6 mram!

kingfisher21, Feb 10, 1:23am
Why not! They are cheap like he says from BNT, it's all we fit at work for them and never had a comeback yet.

carstan, Feb 10, 3:20am
Jason18 here.I can get them at trade if need be

tonyrockyhorror, Feb 10, 4:01am
Don't waste money skimming them. The problem will return. Replace them for not much more.

unbeatabull, Feb 10, 5:44am
Don't bother replacing them when you don't need to.

Check the brake master cylinder pushrod clearance - these come out from factory 80% of the time not adjusted correctly in that there is always a bit of pressure on the brakes which causes them to warp . sure a better quality rotor might be less resistant to warping but its not fixing the problem.

Pull off the master cylinder, the pushrod coming out of the booster has a 10mm adjuster bolt on it, get some vise grips/slipjaws on the rod (not the smooth bit, there is a rough bit where the adjuster screws into) and wind it in about two turns. We do have a proper tool made up to measure them but generally 2 turns is about right.

As for the rotors, they will need either machining or replacing. BNT options are cheap, but we haven't had much better experience with them either, and that includes Brembo's. Minimum thickness is 26mm, very rarely are the fronts under minimum - not till usually around the 300k mark

kdcentralni, Feb 10, 6:53am
Take it to a mechanic it will be an ABS sensor on one of the fron'ts same thing happened to me about $300 to fix, shuddered like hell.

unbeatabull, Feb 10, 7:15am
That would be pulsing the brake pedal and an ABS Light would be on the dash.

wasser61, Feb 10, 7:21am
! Then the abs fault light will be on if it detects an issue with the system!

chrissysmith, Feb 10, 7:25am
Hey thanks for your awesome advice.My cars done around 115k.

chrissysmith, Feb 10, 7:26am
No lights coming on at dash.