BMW people

mikekylie, Feb 11, 12:20am
I have a BMW 352i 2001 a few weeks ago I went to Hastings got 30 minutes into the trip and the coolant warning light came on so bought some coolant and topped it up seemed to be ok then did it again and noticed that it was leaking quite a bit and leaving a pool underneath all seemed fine then 2 weeks later the coolant warning came back on any ideas! It's not overheating or anything

andrea_w, Feb 11, 12:23am
Err yeah. fix the leak.

carmedic, Feb 11, 12:24am
Don't go to Hastings or get the leak fixed.

mikekylie, Feb 11, 12:28am
I had the water pump and thermostat fixed and seemed fine and now is leaking again but not as bad just wondering what it could be

richard198, Feb 11, 12:40am
Where is the leak coming from!

mikekylie, Feb 11, 12:45am
I have no idea replaced the water pump and thermo and both o rings were quite worn so figured it was that. I can't see where it's leaking for
So has me stumped I thought maybe exspantion tank
Or worst case the head but wouldn't that cause it to over heat

richard198, Feb 11, 12:48am
It can't be fixed until the source of the leak is established. Guessing doesn't work.
Either look closer/harder or get someone else to look.

rob_man, Feb 11, 12:57am
Possibly a hose clip that needs to be tighter or aligned properly on the hose.
Or a hose could have sprung a leak from being disturbed.

andrewph, Feb 11, 1:29am
Take it to a garage and get them to pressure test the cooling system. They use a hand pump and an adaptor that connects to the filler and pump it up to the release pressure of the cap. That will show up any leaks. Usually suspects are any of the black plastic outlet housings and o rings. Especially the one on the back of the head to the heater hose. BMW and late VW/Audi ones crack. its common.

mlh19658, Feb 11, 1:36am
Get yourself something, anything that's not Euro. I speak from expensive experience. They might look great, but all they are is vortex that will suck every penny you have and don't have.

elect70, Feb 11, 2:54am
Plastic header tanks known to leak if its been overheated .As above get a pressure test .

dvince, Feb 11, 3:17am
Well thats one way to fix a coolant leak.

mikekylie, Feb 11, 3:31am
Thanks for the advice :)

mlh19658, Feb 11, 3:52am
Sorry, Mike.
Will NEVER get another car with indicator stalk on the left. EVER!

kazbanz, Feb 11, 5:34am
um what engine does that beast have in itbeing a 352 -5 liter v12!

jason_247, Feb 11, 5:47am
those cars are renowned for breaking the expansion tank where the small hose joins on at the bottom

icemans1, Feb 11, 5:57am
you should be able to see some coolant spray marks in the engine bay somewhere, then try to pin point where it might be coming from

mlh19658, Feb 11, 6:09am
I rest my case.

motorway, Feb 11, 6:32am
<--this.