Desulfated batteries - are they any good?

greenwing, Feb 11, 9:41pm
.I need a new car battery, seen reconditioned ones on Trademe for $50 with a 6mth warranty, I asked what "reconditioned" meant, answer - its been desulflated. How many years will a desulflated battery last, and is its performance as good as a new one, or will I be better off spending the extra dollars and getting a new one!.

kazbanz, Feb 11, 9:56pm
greenwing--I own and run a caryard so odviously every saving gets multiplied out Your $50 saving is to me $1000.
I tried reconditioned batteries for awhile but they cost me more than they saved.I buy new batteries and have no problems.
So short versionIn my opinion they have months of life at best -good if you are selling off an old clunker with a dead battery buty not much else

intrade, Feb 12, 12:21am
new batterys are cheap again these days but they are calcium and dont like to be discharged you need a special charger for these and some cars charging is not good enough for them so they constanty go dead . lead battery charge at 13.8voltas the full charge is 12.56 volt on lead acid battery. calcium has higher full charge voltage. Dont know the exact figure on top of my head but its closer to 14 volt so charging has to be above that from alternator to fully charge them.

intrade, Feb 12, 12:26am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead%E2%80%93acid_battery
calcium are higher voltage idle that is the old lead battery and they are expensive if your car is not able to charge a lead-calcium battery you will have to get one of these or your problems wont ever be over with dead batterys.

intrade, Feb 12, 12:26am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead%E2%80%93acid_battery
calcium are higher voltage idle that is the old lead battery and they are expensive if your car is not able to charge a lead-calcium battery you will have to get one of the older pure lead batteryor your problems wont ever be over with dead batterys. also calcium battery should be charged with special electronic charger not with a 30 year old battery charger.

illusion_, Feb 12, 1:16am
The old adage applies. You get what you pay for. From memory (and I may be corrected) a new battery has a 2yr warranty. This is on a "pro-rata" basis. ie: if your battery craps out after 1 yr you get a new one at half price. Would pay to check if the reco'd one is also on that basis. As for the life expectancy . about the same amount of time as the warranty. Anything over that is a bonus. Sometimes you WILL win. Most times as with all things they crap out just after the warranty expires ;)
So, the choice is yours. Buy the cheapo and take the risk! or just buy a brand new battery like most people do!
I know what I do

(and it aint the cheapie)

olsod2, Feb 12, 2:00am
i had a battery crap out after 23months i took it back to my garage they checked it then replaced it with a new 1 got another 2 year warranty.was not a cheapo cost me $200.